What's new

Learning Japanese online

sevencoloriris

I am a Vietnamese...(^_^)
18 Jun 2006
I tend to learn Japanese but lot of people say that's so difficult, even difficult than English. I just want you give me some advise for the person who first time study one of the hardest language of the world. could u introduce some thing about it,( the most common rules or ...some thing like that). by the way, is there any websites teach Japanese for people who know nothing about JP like me?
could u give me the link?. thanks alot

Well, I've been using Japanese For Busy People, as a textbook, also the Oxford Starter Japanese Dictionary, together I find them very good. :) The dictionary has grammar points and stuff in the middle, which is very helpful. I've just started to learn kanji too, and the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary is the book I have so far, and that too seems pretty good to me (or at least, I can understand it ok! 😊 ).

As far as websites go, I don't really know of any for learning basic grammar and hiragana/katakana, but Genki Kanji seems to be a reasonable starting off point for kanji - it has animations of stroke order. :)

Well I dunno much about online resources, but this is an online japanese dictionary cum translation tool compiled by Monash University which u might wanna check out: Jim Breen's Pages Have Moved

If u r serious about learning Japanese, not just as something to killl time, u should, if possible get some really good books if lessons are not an option for u. In my opinion textbooks which emphasize on speed are likely to be bad in the long run with the lack of foundation. If u are comfortable with Chinese I suggest u to get Minna no nihongo for beginner studies. U should also get some vocab or grammar dictionaries. I recommend Kodansha's furigana Japanese-English / English-Japanese dictionary and the Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Japanese Grammar written by Seiichi Makino...hope that helps ^^

Japanese is not an overly difficult language to learn. Since you are from Vietnam you may already have had some exposure to Chinese characters. Anyway it's harder to express yourself at first and you will find yourself at a loss with a limitd vocabulary. Some constructions will have to learned anew again, like "taxi ni noru" "yama ni noboru" (take taxi), (climb mountain) etc. But overall aside from the set phrases the other aspects are not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom