後輩
30 Nov 2004
came across this in my local comic book shop today:

clicky

just wondered if anybody had actually used it

i was just going to by a japanese manga -
159116920801LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

this one actually.

would it be extremely difficult to get into reading a manga like this..? i presume it would be which is why i didnt buy it :D i might try to get a manga that is aimed at small children to help with my knaji recognition. in which case.... does anyone have any suggestions.?

yorkii

Uh....is that the copy of it or does it look more like this:

475750620109LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

Because if it looks like the image you posted, you have the American version of FMA which will have no kanji or kana period.

To answer your question, manga will help your reading and might help you recognize a few kanji, but it won't really teach you kanji from my experience. You'll learn more from learning radicals than you'll ever learn from manga. But that's what I've noticed in my studies.

I think you might want to stay away from using manga as your source for learning kanji. While it might be a good suppliment to your language studies (mostly to boost your confidence when you can 'read' some manga!), its not going to give you a structured approach to learning and memorizing.

That book looks interesting.. I might have to pick up a copy.

Personally, for kanji, I learn the vocabulary for my Japanese class in kanji. Its 'above and beyond' the scope of the class, but I actually find it helps me remember the words better. I get a little picture for each word!

Stutz said:
Uh....is that the copy of it or does it look more like this:

475750620109LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

Because if it looks like the image you posted, you have the American version of FMA which will have no kanji or kana period.

To answer your question, manga will help your reading and might help you recognize a few kanji, but it won't really teach you kanji from my experience. You'll learn more from learning radicals than you'll ever learn from manga. But that's what I've noticed in my studies.

thats the one i was going to get... i couldnt find a pic of it though :(

i got this in the end: Basic Japanese Through Comics just to supplement my learning. it looks quite good so far :D

...i hate the american version...

although to tell you the truth, a lot of mangas have furigana next to the kanji, which is all hiragana pronunciation of the kanjis and what they mean. I have fullmetal alchemist vol.1 and peacemaker kurogane vol.1-4 and 2 shonen jump magazine in japanese. all of them have furigana in 'em and it's very helpful [if you happen to have a dictionary next to you when you start reading XD;;]

Back
Top Bottom