What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese to Survive! - HIRAGANA BATTLE (RPG)

MegaHarv

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings everybody!

So last week I discovered an RPG on Steam named "Learn Japanese to Survive! HIRAGANA BATTLE" that was created to teach the basics of Hiragana. So far I have the basic vowels committed to memory, and I'm excited to see if this concept will allow me a platform to pick up Hiragana.

I love this concept as I'm a long time RPG fan, so my RPG experience should make up for my lack of knowledge of Japanese.

I started a Let's Play for this game because I thought it would be a good way not only to learn Japanese, but it forces me to write the characters down and say them verbally for the viewer. Also I might be able to get some guidance from advanced Japanese speakers who also have a similar love of RPGs.

If it's alright with everybody I'm going to leave Part 1 of my video at the bottom of this post. Let me know if you agree that this is a good stepping stone to learning Japanese, or if there is other tools to learn Japanese that might work more effectively for me instead.

Thank you for your time!

mdchachi

Reaction score
Looks like a fun way to learn Hiragana.

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
I have to say, it seems like overkill. I think it took me a week at most of drilling some flash cards to learn hiragana.

More power to you if it makes you happy though!

ado

後輩
Reaction score
This game is looks like a copy of an older Japanese learning RPG: Slime Forest Adventure.
If i remember well that one included even katakana and kanji.
However is nice, i finished it in 2 days.

Someone knows others Japanese learning rpg games?
I'm waiting to see KOE, but i guess it takes ages to be released ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I edited your post. Please do not use that abbreviation.

ado

後輩
Reaction score
I edited your post. Please do not use that abbreviation.
I'm very sorry. I never imagined that was a derogatory term (i learned it now on wiki). Is there another abbreviation allowed?
Sorry again.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
GENERAL POSTING RULES
III. Language

SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", "plz" for "please", "gonna" for "going to" or "wanna" for "want to" is not acceptable.
Forum Rules | Japan Forum

I wouldn't revise these words, though.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I'm very sorry. I never imagined that was a derogatory term (i learned it now on wiki). Is there another abbreviation allowed?
Sorry again.
It's a natural abbreviation and many people don't know the history. Don't worry about it.

You're asking is there another abbreviation for Japan? It's best to spell it out in a place like this but in cases where you need an abbreviation, JP (which is the ISO country code) is acceptable I think.

ado

後輩
Reaction score
It's a natural abbreviation and many people don't know the history. Don't worry about it.

You're asking is there another abbreviation for Japan? It's best to spell it out in a place like this but in cases where you need an abbreviation, JP (which is the ISO country code) is acceptable I think.
Thank you for your understanding.
I was asking an abbreviation for Japanese, but i guess that JP could cover both cases.

It's best to spell it out in a place like this
Is this place a very formal one? I hope to do not commit other gaffes, i'm not even english mother language. :)

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
Is this place a very formal one? I hope to do not commit other gaffes, i'm not even english mother language. :)
I think part of it is that when people are working to learn a language they need to read and hear correct language. This is why anime and manga is often not recommended here for learning purposes.

I think another part is that many people here see using abbreviations like 'plz' as not being respectful to the other readers. Often we are asking questions about Japanese in a way which makes others our teachers. I would never write 'plz' on an assignment (well, I'm old, so I wouldn't do it anyway) and the same expectations exist here.

I don't think anyone will be bothered by mistakes due to not being your native language. Anyone learning a language understands how hard it is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom