What's new

LARGE Kanji Translation

10 Dec 2003
Hi! I would really appreciate if you could translate all these kanji for me. They are part of a kanji font I downloaded, but I have no clue as to what they mean. 😄 (And this isn't even all of them! :mad:.)

Domou Arigatou Gozaimasu in advance!! 🙂

Attachments

• help me please!.jpg
    help me please!.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 275
You need the book 2001 Kanji by Joseph De Roo. You can look up kanji very easily with that book even if you don't know any of the readings or radicals.

Thanks for the suggestion, m477. I'll be sure to pick it up. (To be truthful, I was having difficulty deciding which kanji dics to get. Thank you for helping!) 🙂

By the way, that is the simplified Chinese character set. Japanese characters were simplified in a different way, and in most cases look more similar to the traditional Chinese characters. It does appear that most of those are the same as their Japanese equivalents, though. Also, the meanings of some of those will most likely differ from Chinese to Japanese. I know that 您 (I hope you can see that, it was not even in the Japanese character set) means "you" (polite) in Mandarin; I have never seen it in any Japanese text.

Really? Hm. That's odd, I swear the font name itself is 'japanese'. Geez.....Have to email the person i got it from and tell them what you just told me.

Thank you, Glenn, for telling me that, before I had mistakenly used it on a document.(And maybe an important one at that! :eek:.) It's much appreciated! 🙂 🙇‍♂️ 🙂

Oh, another question:

I have japanese IME downloaded on my comp., I just don't, heh, know how to quite use it. Could anyone give me some help, please? (I know, I ask a lot in one day, huh? 😌.)

That looks like Chinese. The Japanese do not write so many Kanji consecutively without sticking a hiragana somewhere.

Unless, of course, it's from over 1,000 years ago before the kanas were invented.

Oh, Golgo-San, Those are just random (kanji). See, the font has one for each key, I just put them on a blank image sheet on photoshop so you could see them. It's not a message. ^_^;

Anyways, I got that the style/simplifing was more related to chinese from Glenn-San. ^_^

I just assumed it was Chinese all along as well since there are way too many I don't recognize (10 or a dozen or so) for it to be Japanese. :p

At The Chinese Outpost there is a list of traditional Chinese characters and their corresponding simplified characters. Here you can see some of the patterns that are evident in the above hanzi (漢字), like 言偏 (the radical 言) becoming a dot with a straight line beneath and the horizontal lines in 見 becoming one vertical line.

Last edited:
Besides the book 2001 Kanji by Joseph De Roo, which I've never seen but will take m477's word for it, if you're interested in more more more kanji, but much more difficult to look up (at least at first) the New Nelson dictionary was recommended to me by my Sensei. I'm pretty sure this has like every kanji that Japanese uses, including old ones not used any more. 7107 is the last #.

@Golgo-San: Thanks for the offer! Expect a PM from me soon! :D (Domou Arigatou!!! 🙂.)

@Elizabeth: :mad: Really? *tsk tsk* Whoever made the font really didn't do a good job then, since if you couldn't recognize them, how could they be kanji? (Since you know so much, Elizabeth-San!)

@Glenn: Thanks for the link!

@Sukotto: Thanks for the dictionary suggestion!

(Whew...Think I got you all. ^_^;.)

I kow olny around 200 Kanji~ I have around 2,000 more basic ones to go. Good luck in Your studied! I think Kanji is the Hardest aspect that people learning the Japanese language have to encounter.

Glenn said:
By the way, that is the simplified Chinese character set. Japanese characters were simplified in a different way, and in most cases look more similar to the traditional Chinese characters. It does appear that most of those are the same as their Japanese equivalents, though. Also, the meanings of some of those will most likely differ from Chinese to Japanese. I know that 您 (I hope you can see that, it was not even in the Japanese character set) means "you" (polite) in Mandarin; I have never seen it in any Japanese text.
yup, it's more like chinese [I study English, Chinese and Japanese] ...

Back
Top Bottom