What's new

Laptop in Japan

Grachan

先輩
3 Jul 2003
I'm going to Japan in May and I want to take my Laptop to do some work while I'm there. Does anyone know if it will work okay with just a mains adaptor or will I need anything else like a transformer etc?

Konnichiwa Grachan!

You need a transformer because Japanese socket have a voltage of 100, and two pins socket but not three. 😌

NANGI

yeah, im fairly sure that the japanese sockets/plugs are the same as the american ones if that helps.

Thanks. Just thinking, my wife has a laptop which originally came from Japan and works fine here (UK) using a simple 2 to 3 pin adaptor with no need for a transformer so will it definitely not work in reverse?

If I do need a transformer can get one in Japan no problem as I may try it first? I don't really want to get one before hand as it's extra luggage.

i dunno about the transformer depends on what the normal voltage is for the UK. you can get stuff like that at the airport but you'll pay airport prices...

I'm just looking at the AC/DC converter that I have on my computer and I may be okay. The spec says:

Input: 100-240V
Output: 20V.

I'm no expert (understatement of the year!!), but I'm thinking that this may mean it will work fine on any voltage between 100 and 240. (Anyone know any different?)

I'm hoping so anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

well i think it should be fine with just the adapter, too.
though if im wrong and anybody knows better, please correct me and save grachan's computer!!

You shouldn't have any problems with the laptop from the input voltage ranges allowed in your power adapter. It should take input voltages from 100V and up to 240V. You should also check the amp - is that the right word for it...? - allowed, though; I believe that Tokyo is 110V and 50 Hz, but other parts of Japan use 110V and 60Hz.

I had no problems using the same adapter that came with my laptop in the U.S., U.K., or Japan, and mine reads the same (voltage-wise). Amplitude caused no problems for me either, but you should still check yours.

You will need, however, an adapter for the plug itself. The power outlet here is for two-pronged non-safety plugs, and both are identical (thin and rectangular). It won't fit the U.K. power plug.

If you can't find an adapter in the U.K., shops in Akihabara will have them. While looking for an adapter for the three-pronged safety power plug in my laptop, I came across quite a few for the U.K. models; Laox, for one, had them a few weeks ago.

LynnieS said:
You will need, however, an adapter for the plug itself. The power outlet here is for two-pronged non-safety plugs, and both are identical (thin and rectangular). It won't fit the U.K. power plug.
So that means that a US plug (without the third/ground prong) should work fine? :)

Back
Top Bottom