What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Journal Lake Tama: Yamaguchi Kannon

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I've often been around Lake Tama and seen that temple but not stopped tn explore it. By the way, is there a walking path around Lake Sayama?

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I've often been around Lake Tama and seen that temple but not stopped tn explore it. By the way, is there a walking path around Lake Sayama?

Not according to the map. There seems to be a footpath but it stops in the middle of nowhere. I’m planning to head back by bike to explore Sayamako. Google Maps shows some castle ruins, too.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
This thread is for the general discussion of the journal entry Lake Tama: Yamaguchi Kannon. Please add to the discussion here.

Thomas,

I thought I’d write a little note about Jizu statues, which are featured in one of the Yamaguchi Kannon photos. I have visited many temples in Japan, and I was always puzzled by Jizu statues at temples. Some temples have hundreds of Jizu statues, and one temple must have had over a thousand. Why so many?

As it turns out, they are what I call “abortion statues”. When a couple in Japan has an abortion, they often feel a certain amount of guilt. They buy a Jizu statue, which gives the ‘unborn child’ an object to ‘ensoul’, helping the couple feel better. Many statues even have a small article of clothing knitted by the couple.

The next time we visit a temple with Jizu statues, we can reflect on the unhappiness each Jizu statue symbolizes.

Top Bottom