What's new

Kurosawa as an inspiration for spaghetti westerns

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
From my early childhood, I have been a huge fan of Italian western movies, aka spaghetti westerns; my father used to play the tunes of Ennio Morricone frequently, and I'm still getting the shivers when I hear his music. I hope our American friends forgive me, but the spaghetti variety beats "classical" western à la John Wayne by light-years. ;)

I still love them, especially 'The Dollars Trilogy' directed by Sergio Leone and starring the young Clint Eastwood.

Here's an interesting feature about Leone's inspiration from Akira Kurosawa's movies, in particular, 'Yojinbo'.

Seen about every western ever made about 10 times , LOL.
200.gif

Starting when I was around 4 or 5 years old , my dad made sure I had a toy gun set to match all the cowboy shows on TV. I got a high quality BB rifle at age 7 and my first real gun , a .22 rifle at age 10 , and a big game rifle for hunting at age 14. Over the years of gun collecting , I would guess I've owned 100 different guns. Old age and a fixed income have lowered my collection now to just 13 guns , but I'm always saving up for just "one more , honest". I still love watching old TV reruns of westerns.
toys.jpg

In fact, Yojimbo is an example in terms of suspense for directors of spaghetti westerns. No wonder they were inspired. Has anyone watched My Name Is Nobody? Western unique in its structure. The theme of the people-legends of the wild west is played up there in an interesting way. I strongly recommend watch it if you have not watched this masterpiece yet.

Back
Top Bottom