What's new

-kun

It's a familiar term applied (normally but not always) to guys. It's often used within members of the same group (like members of the same team at work for example). -san is more polite but implies more distance socially. -kun is usually used for younger guys.

it seems to me that when -kun is applied to women it is usually to indicate that they are "one of the guys"; like maybe a member of a work group. I have the impression it's a sign of acceptance. Perhaps there is a joking element in there as well.

When -chan is applied to guys there does seem to be more humor behind it. It can also be a carry forward of a childhood nickname into adulthood. Pre-school age boys are commonly addressed with -chan (usually a contraction of their first name plus -chan, e.g. daisuke might become dai-chan)..

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's used in humour?I have often heard -chan used with guys. Of course it is used by people very close to them. Actually I call my husband A-chan more often than his full name, and he doesn't mind at all. personally I see it as a sign of closeness. Maybe it's another kanto / kansai thing?

Back
Top Bottom