What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Kids Living with Dead Father for 10 years!

DoctorP

先輩
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/cu...elative,0,6194297.story?coll=sfla-news-fringe

One of many links to this AP release

Police on Tuesday questioned three siblings after it was discovered they had been living with the decomposed corpse of their father for nearly a decade, an official said.

Kanaoka's three elderly children, all in their 70s or older, told police they thought their father was still alive but that one of them recently had consulted a relative about the possibility that he might be dead, the spokesman said.

He's been dead for 10 years!! How do you not notice that?

Hyogo prefecture had registered Kanaoka as its oldest living resident

Hmmm? Maybe they were going for the record?? :p

This story is just proof that there are stupid people all over the world! ☝

TwistedMac

Sempai
Reaction score
what the hell?

He might be dead? what tipped you off, son? the fact that he hasn't been eating for a decade? Or was it when the maggots started escaping into the other rooms?

How does your family/friends not notice that in a decade? There must be more to this...

Martialartsnovice

Custom Graphix Artist
Reaction score
hey, How could people not realize his death. I mean wouldnt the smell of his "situation", make people realize something was wrong.

I have one question for these relatives/kids of the deceased. " Hello, wake up, and smell the coffee. Wouldnt his absence trigger a search or something for him. Didnt they flies around him or something.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Makes You Wonder If......

he was receiving a Check from Social Security or insurance, and that held their interest?

Frank

:eek:

TwistedMac

Sempai
Reaction score
Frank D. White said:
he was receiving a Check from Social Security or insurance, and that held their interest?

Frank

:eek:
I'm thinking you nailed it, uncle frank.

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
Japanese man found dead after '10 years'

BBC News : Man found dead after '10 years'

A Japanese man said to be Itami city's oldest male has been found dead at his home up to a decade after his death.
The man's mummified body was found lying face down on a bed in the home he shared with his children after a relative called the police.

Kyujiro Kaneoka was believed to have been alive, aged 107, and was named as Itami's oldest man six years ago.

The most shocking is that the family knew he was dead and even changed his kimono regularily. I wonder how the body didn't rot, and most of all, if they really believed that he was still alive as the article said.

lexico

Sempai
Reaction score
Maciamo said:
The most shocking is that the family knew he was dead and even changed his kimono regularily.
You can't be so sure whether they actually knew or what they knew. So it's safer to hold your shock for now. If the allegedly dead man had his three children in his late twenties, the three siblings are in the age range of 77 to 82 this year. Five yrs ago, they would have been anywhere between 72 and 77. At that age, vision, hearing, and general mental abilities can become quite unreliable. Therefore until futher investigation shows otherwise, it might not be fair to blame the surviving children just yet for knowingly hiding their fathers corpse. As for changing the kimono regularly, a body with toughened joints would have been a major challenge indeed. But one can always do a little modification for the father; customised komono if you will.
Maciamo said:
I wonder how the body didn't rot, and most of all, if they really believed that he was still alive as the article said.
At an advanced age the body tends to lose water content. So even at the point of death, major oozing of bodily fluids would not have been that extreme. The children might just have thought, "O, pop's having some major perspiration. Maybe we should cool the room for him. Since he doesn't seem to be too healthy, let's refrain from exciting him by trying to converse. Just let him be, and he'll let us know when he needs something."

Furthermore, if the death occurred sometime during late fall and early winter, the low average temperature might have preserved the corpse with more dehydrating, and less putrifying. By late spring, the body could have dehydrated enough to withstand further chemical decomposition. To add a little more guesswork to what I already offered, let's say the old man used to be a domineering partiarch, much feared, and a man of few words. The children, out of respect and fear, might not have wondered why he should have stopped eating and drinking, and much too afraid to ask why.
BBC said:
'(Papa is) Too weak'

The three siblings said they thought their father was still alive, but one recently consulted a relative about the possibility he might be dead."
Unless there was some foul play that can be proven, or unless the police can establish a motive such as financial difficulty or debt causing the siblings to fake their father's longevity to collect the municipal gifts which only amounted to 150,000 yen (us$1,440; £750) and five cashimere blankets worth only 100,000 yen (us$910; £500) which may not be a huge sum spread over 5 yrs, it may be pretty tough to prove that they were knowledgeable of the death of the deceased.
BBC said:
Itami city hall told the AFP news agency that the city was considering asking Kaneoka's family to return gifts it had received since 1999.
What a thing to say to the poor, bereaved, and orphaned children. Shameless officials of Itami. They should have more respect for the elderly, and people's feelings.

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
But even if they couldn't see that well or whatever, don't you think they would notice that he hadn't moved?! I'm guessing their house wasn't too huge, so in close quarters with someone who had been dead 10 years? Couldn't sense he was not moving, not eating anything, nothing? I'm sure they still had sense of touch, and they changed his kimono regularly? Wouldn't they at least feel that it wasn't a living body's temperature, skin texture, etc.? That just seems a little too unbelievable to me.

Maybe all the children were suffering from Alzheimer's, but if they were all suffering from Alzheimer's, they probably wouldn't have even been able to tell the police that they thought he was alive, or anything else, for that matter. Just a weird story.

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
lexico said:
If the allegedly dead man had his three children in his late twenties, the three siblings are in the age range of 77 to 82 this year. Five yrs ago, they would have been anywhere between 72 and 77. At that age, vision, hearing, and general mental abilities can become quite unreliable.

Didn't they feed their father ? Didn't they notice he didn't eat or drink anything ?

lexico said:
Furthermore, if the death occurred sometime during late fall and early winter, the low average temperature might have preserved the corpse with more dehydrating, and less putrifying. By late spring, the body could have dehydrated enough to withstand further chemical decomposition.

I don't know exactly how hot and humid is summer in Korea (probably more like Northern Japan), but the Kansai region where the incident happened is very muggy in summer (30 to 35'C day and night for 3 months with extremely high humidity). Already in Tokyo (slightly less hot than Kansai) anything in the rubbish bin rots and stinks within a day, and the humidity create mould ("kabi") a bit everywhere in the house. It is very improbable than under such conditions a dead body would not rot, unless leaving the air conditioning for 24h for over 3 months (not more likely).

Martialartsnovice

Custom Graphix Artist
Reaction score
Still, I wouldnt rule out the decreased senses. or the Alzheimers theory. Maybe they were fearful of him, in their earlier days. But I still think that the presence or lack of, the person,would trigger some action.

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
Martialartsnovice said:
Still, I wouldnt rule out the decreased senses. or the Alzheimers theory. Maybe they were fearful of him, in their earlier days. But I still think that the presence or lack of, the person,would trigger some action.

Did you see that they didn't notice he was dead while living in the same house for 10 YEARS, not 10 days. Have you thought about all the things you can do in 10 days ? Now multiply that by 365 and imagine.

Index

窶禿塒弯
Reaction score
They obviously didn't like their father. Some Japanese people complain that their parents are high maintenance when they get older and don't like looking after them. Maybe they were infact happy that he had died, or in actual fact did not change his clothes etc. because it was a hassle and so didn't notice he had died. Out of sight out of mind, as the saying goes.

Martialartsnovice

Custom Graphix Artist
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes older people can be high maintance, but when we are babies, and toddlers, our parents could say the same about us.

@Maciamo

Yeah, there is lots of things yuou could do in 10 days, let alone 10yrs. Though. Not to be vulgar, doesnt anyone think that, a deacaying body would trigger a search for the smell. Yeah given the children, are living with diminshed senses, being older people. But still, I think that they might have made some effort, to search around their house, or the surrounding area for him.

Mal

Original Prankster
Reaction score
No matter what the motives were, as Forrest Gump might say; "Crazy is as crazy does".

Definately a barrel of crazy in that household.

Apollo

先輩
Reaction score
Scarry....reminds me of Hitchcock's "Psycho" (maybe the kids were like Norman Bates...)

Martialartsnovice

Custom Graphix Artist
Reaction score
Could be true, as for the refernece to Hitchcocks movie, Pyscho you could be right on that one also.

lexico

Sempai
Reaction score
Love unto death, or murder, and beyond ... !?!

I can't remember exactly where; possibly in some tabloid, but it struck me as so real & serious, not some made-up story. A gentleman who loved his wife so dearly couldn't bear to part with her. So instead of giving her a proper rite of death (report to the city registry, bituary, funeral, burial), he decieded to keep her next to him forever. I do not know the details of how he did it, but he managed to keep her for yrs.

Is that possible if you love someone very deeply ? Not only possible but only natural ? Or is it something to be treated as madness, an abnormally disfugured attachment ? What makes a necrophile ? (<== Is that the right word for it ?) What about the fiction, "A Rose for Emily," where the rejected girl Miss Emily *** , unable to let go of the man she already fell in love with, kills him, and keeps him in her bedroom until she dies a natural death ? Could it be explained away by saying it's was an extreme case of Southern pride that made her do it ? :?

strawberry_momokan

ツ森窶氾柁恥ニ停?愴胆
Reaction score
Thats really weird O__O, i think after a year they shouldve notice that the man wasnt moving, now 10 years is alittle crazy...you know somethings up

lexico

Sempai
Reaction score
Daughter Found Living with Dead Mother for Months

Woman lives with mother's mummified body in home

Mainichi shinbun said:
TOYOHASHI, Aichi -- A woman has been arrested after her elderly mother's body was found in a room of her home here, police said.

Hisae Oba, 42, was arrested for the illegal disposal of the body of her 75-year-old mother, Tokiko Kashiwazaki, who had been dead for about three months and her corpse partially mummified.
The body of the mother was partially decomposed, partially mummified, producing a foul stench. The dead mother and daughter were apparantly unable to pay their rent, so perhaps a proper funeral was outside their means. :(

RinniGal

後輩
Reaction score
the older people have more respect for the elder and their parents. also, like said before, the may have had mind-ailments that made them think, maybe my brother fed him, maybe, but i'm not sure. you never know. maybe they live on a stinky street anyways...maybe they lived in a basement. all kinds of odd things can lead to the mummification of bodies.

Top Bottom