What's new

key money

duff_o_josh

okonomiyaki=bliss
2 Apr 2004
how do i determin how much i give my landlord for keymoney? is there a rule of thumb or anything? :?

Depends on person to person, some agencies differ too. It may be a months deposit you get back, might be you have to pay for 2 months worth of rent and never see it again.

(I'm renting the flat with Josh, so I can jump in here) The way I understand it, the guy is just letting us rent a flat that he owns, so we're dealing on somewhat of a more personal level than most places, josh just kind of mentioned he'd get him a gift from Canada and the man said he just wants key money, it was just that vague. Would it be rude to ask him how much he wants for key money?

They should tell you up front how much it is. It shouldn't be like an under-the-counter thing.

Brooker is right. This sort of thing is something that is always clearly stated in real estate listings, along with 礼金 and isn't considered a negotiable aspect of the deal.

Yeah, its where you pay money upfront to show you want it kinda thing. Doesnt count as rent tho, you still pay that.

oh, i thought it was just money so he could buy a gift. what is an appropriate amount to give someone for a gift?

hmmm? so if rent was 160000Y for two months, then key money might be 160000Y that we never see again?

No, the 敷金 (key money) you should see again, presuming you leave the place in a good condition and have a scrupulous landlord (the latter assumption more dangerous than the former). The 礼金 you can kiss goodbye forever.

If you're only going to get a place for two months, then you really ought to look into one of the many places that specializes in very short term rentals and come with the basic necessities provided. They're often called a "weekly mansion", since you can rent them by the week or by the month.

I thought shikikin was a deposit and reikin was key money... :S arrgh im all mixed up now. Whats rekikin in english?

Danged if I know. That's why I did it in Japanese. How about "Thinly disguised highway robbery"?

Back
Top Bottom