What's new

Kennin - Sword man? Or hidden sword?

Kennin

Sho(w)dan!
20 Jan 2004
Kennin - Man with the sword... the hidden Sword...
Yes I know, it's cheesy! But it was my second trial of a Japanese word game ever, so don't be too hard on me!

So, I was amazed of the japanese culture and history as far as since I was 10 years old or so, more than 20 years ago now. It all started with the TV-mini series "Shテエgun" and it never went away.

When I was 14 I entered the world of the japanese martial arts and nowadays, I "teach" Bujinkan Budテエ Taijutsu to a small but wonderful class. I took two years of evening school to learn the first basics of the japanese language.

The most evil person ever to set foot on japanese soil was -in my opinion- the very murderer of the true Japan: commodore Matthew C. Perry...

Anything else you might want to know? Just ask!!!

Welcom to the fora, Kennin! Heh, that's pretty close to Kenshin ("heart of the sword," and one of my favorite anime). I do have a question, how did you get the circumflexes on those o's? Is it due to having either a German or French keyboard (whichever you use, your profile says that you are a German living in Belguim, so...), or is there some sort of code for that? Just my opinion, but I prefer circumflexes in romanization for long vowels (but there are some exceptions, of course). Anyway I hope that you enjoy your time here with us. :D

Circumflexes are standard on my Keyboard, as a {shift}-character above the "6".
My keyboard layout is the Dutch one.
On the French ones you have the same key, as well as on the Belgian Flemish one, since they use the French layout as well.

I'm very much fond of the circumflexes as well, to be honest. They look more natural than the "u" prolongation.
- ryテサ vs. ryuu
- dテエjテエ vs. doujou
etc.
But sometimes the circumflexum prolongations are confusing as well...
Take the "テエ" for "big" for example as seen in "テエ sake" . The "テエ" is not "ou" but "oo"...

But definitely the worst is when people who (should) know the difference don't use prolongations at all... that's ARGH!!!!

About rurテエni Kenshin...
That's my favorite anime as well... or better, the ONLY anime that I have seen yet, that I like. But the likeliness is a mere coincidence. I use that nick for about 7 or 8 years now, and I never heared of rurテエni Kenshin until... two years ago or so?

Thanks for the nice welcome, by the way :)

Re: Re: Kennin - Sword man? Or hidden sword?

Originally posted by Kennin
Circumflexes are standard on my Keyboard, as a {shift}-character above the "6".
My keyboard layout is the Dutch one.
On the French ones you have the same key, as well as on the Belgian Flemish one, since they use the French layout as well.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I had a similar conversation a few years ago on another message board about this very thing with a Brazilian guy. He said that he didn't need a code because he could type it on his keyboard. Unfortunately PC's don't have that capability, but Mac's can get just about any symbol one would care to have with the use of the "alt" key, even on a standard American keyboard. For PC's I was able to use html code to get it, but that isn't enabled here, and there doesn't seem to be any vBcode for it, so I'm up a creek. I really wish that I could, though.

But definitely the worst is when people who (should) know the difference don't use prolongations at all... that's ARGH!!!!

I wholeheartedtly agree with you on that point. Especially when people who are trying to teach the language, or have compiled dictionaries do so. That blows my mind.

Thanks for the nice welcome, by the way :)

No problem. :D

It's the same character as in the smiley ^_^
It's on my Swedish keyboard aswell even though we don't use the ^ sign at all, hmm.

Dewa, welcome Kennin :) I'm not very old here myself and have only met nice and fun people here.

Bluebird.

first: hiya kennin and welcome, enjoy the forums.

second: glenn you can use alt codes on a regular pc bテエテエya or テ氾 a plethora of others if the font allows. with unicode in xp you can get even odder characters: ψĦỡ₪ ﻫ just use the character map...
start>progams>accesories>system tools>character map

third: meiwaku, hajimemashite basicly means nice to meet you.

Originally posted by jeisan
second: glenn you can use alt codes on a regular pc bテエテエya or テ氾 a plethora of others if the font allows. with unicode in xp you can get even odder characters: ψĦỡ₪ ﻫ just use the character map...
start>progams>accesories>system tools>character map.

Thank you, jeisan. Interestingly enough, my brother and I were talking about this very thing earlier and he was telling me basically what you just told me. What an interesting coincidence. Anyway, thank you for the info.

Hehehe, reply to a very old post of mine...

There's a better way to manage the circumflexes in hebonshiki rōmaji, as you can undoubtfully see :)
Forget about the circumflexes and use macrons.

Start with "&#" and end with ";" and add the correct code inbetween, without a space.

The codes are:

Ō = & # 332 ;
ō = & # 333 ;
Ū = & # 362 ;
ū = & # 363 ;

^^

Wow! They work on Japanese keyboards. No idea how to get them over the vowels, though. When I find stuff like "doujou" to be repugnant, I just use 同上 or 同情 or 同乗 or 道場 or 堂上 or 同条 instead.

Back
Top Bottom