What's new

Kenjutsu dojo name help

Acoyauh

後輩
1 Nov 2016
I train iaido in our friends-and-family dojo. Kids are getting really good at it and now they itch for combat. Since I don't want to botch their beautiful sword style with the big-stick technique of kendo's shinai, we got an aikido instructor to give us an aikiken kumitachi course, we'll also learn eishin ryu and other schools' paired kata, and THEN start our own version of armored combat with our iaido bokken, not shinai.
Anyways, everyone is excited and decided we need a name. In Japanese. *sigh.

On the philosophy side we live by Nahualismo, a chamanic pre-Hispanic philosophy in Mexico. Many know it as "Quetzalcoatl's Path(or way)" (Quetzalcoatl is the feathered-snake or dragon god of ancient Mexico) so we want something like this in Japanese.

So how do you translate, "Dragon god's way/path/school" in Japanese? Is Ryujin-do correct? if so, how would we write it in kanji?

I'll appreciate any comments, suggestions and general illumination from you actual Japanese speakers on this.

Thank you!

龍神道 or 竜神道 would be "dragon god path/way"

Both of the first characters are used for Dragon, with 龍神 getting about 6.5 million results in google and 竜神 with about 2.5

interestingly, searching for 龍神道 I came across Long Shen Dao, a chinese reggae (!?) group. I'm not complaining.

If you want a name for the dōjō rather than for the style, substitute 館 for 道.

Sorry, Ive noticed that "o" is also a long vowel, so it should be Ryūjin-dō or Ryuujin-dou.

Hello, Totoribe. Ryūjin-dō it is! Thank you!

Just glancing at wikipedia; Quetzalcoatl in Chinese characters is 羽蛇神.
Or, the fabulously exotic (but nearly unpronounceable in Japanese) combination of 魁札爾科亞特爾.
Sorry, not much value to the discussion, but thought it was interesting.
魁札爾科亞特爾 - 维基百科,自由的百科全书

It IS interesting, thank you. It might be fun to try to make a sigil (a kind of seal) with those kanji... someday...

If you want a name for the dōjō rather than for the style, substitute 館 for 道.

I think we'll use the style name for both. Thank you for the note though, it is always interesting to know.

Back
Top Bottom