What's new

Kendo

frostyg02uk

先輩
28 Jun 2007
I dont know why but for a long time ive been interested in Kendo without actually trying it. Coming from manchester, its hard for me to get a chance to do it but this summer id like to start playing it if possible. So i dont think we have a topic on this sport so i thought i'd make one.
Anyone interested in it also or who has any experience or tips or whatever to do with kendo please donate to the thread 👍 Thanks and have a nice day ^-^

Nope, never heard of it! Don't they wear gi's and hakamas and funny looking helmets...oh and wave around bamboo sticks trying to hit each other????

Nope never heard of it!😊:p

Well going off your avatar you should be the one giving me tips ;o))

Thanks for the links Obeika ill check them out after my dinner ^-^

Hey thanks for the links guys. unfortunity the BKA doesnt have a site in Manchester. About those sites you offered Pugtm are they based on the US or?..... (Edit: scatch that ive had a look at them now ;o)) )
Its not really that Manchester is out of the way we are thought of as a major city in the UK (lol i know) so im sure somewhere does it.
Thanks

Hmm best i could find is Bolton (which is far away for me). Especially since training is from 10am -12pm. To get ready and get there even if i had a car would mean getting up at 730am every sunday for 2 hours of fun and then rushing back to play football/soccer. I guess ill have to look for something else, maybe Aikido (sigh).

Well maybe someone else can get some joy from this thread.
Thanks everyone, we gave it a good try haha

did you ask someone on the forum?

did you ask someone on the forum? usually those lists are not fully updated. Ask someone called Kaoru. She has a super extensive list of every dojo under the sun. Even iaido and kenjutsu. Dont give up yet if you want i can ask her for you.
Edit:
shoot i gave you a wrong site earlier i meant to send you to the forums!!!
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/index.php

LOL. well i checked out the BKA which is the British club here but they only have ones in bolton and stockport which is greater manchester and quite far even by car and i read that one of the members went to the one in stockport but i was looking more for central Manchester which even that can be an hours travelling for me. (i use buses...gomen, gomen nasai). Im not sure if there would be any closer but if you could please ask id appriciate it, i was certain that there would of been one in our town centre.

well neither did I but when it comes down to it now i take kendo and iaido and everything i thought i knew about kendo i find out i am totally clueless. And they really complement each other really well.
Either way i'm trying to find one, might take a couple days though depending on when they answer.
edit:
found some on some old threads:
"K N M S
Bramhall Recreation Centre
Seal Road
Bramhall
Nr Stockport
Mr W Swindells
01625 261158

or the university might have a club

or failing that preston definately has, and its just a 30-40 min train ride
Do Shin Ken Yu Kai Kendo United Kindom"

"Yeah KMNS and DoShinKenYuKai are what you want.
Note: DoShinKenYuKai have a Bolton Branch that is much closer than Preston.

DoShinKenYuKai Preston, DoshinKenYuKai Halifax, Liverpool Kendo Club and Kagami Shin Kendo Kai in Stoke are all about 40 min to an hour away.

None of the Manchester Unis had clubs when I left for scotland (in may). At least, none that I knew of.

Still, 2 clubs around Manchester and 4 within reasonable driving distance! You'll be spoilt for choice."

and 1 more:
www.kobudokan.co.uk

Well thats what i found so far without much effort. I can keep looking though.

Really? thanks alot for the help. I feel pretty useless i cant find things in my own city haha but i guess many hands make lighter work. In the mean time ive been enquiring about Aikido with the nearest place being about 1 and half away but after the summer when im back in uni ill only be 30 mins away so....

No problem. We are always happy to get new students even if they are across the globe from us. good luck with your kendo or aikido whichever you decide on. If you decide on kendo i suggest you join that forum and read the kendowiki(especially the beginners faq(written by me of course(its in the articles section))):):).

Thanks! If i can get a reasonable place to train at ill be taking Kendo but at the moment it looks like ill have to settle for Aikido. If i do get to take Kendo ill sign up to the forum and train hard ^-^
Who knows maybe in the future ill be able to pursue it again

I missed the add on before. Stockport isnt that far away but getting home at the time it finishs might be a problem. If i lived in south manchester i'd be MUCH easier. The Aikido club im thinking of is in fallowfield near one of the MMU campus so its not that far away. There are 2 in the town centre too but i didnt get good impressions of them

When looking before i came across something that said manchester uni had a club for kendo but im a MMU student....so im not sure how id stand with that.

I found 1 more but it is an iaido dojo
Katsumushi
Kearsley Sports Centre, Tomlinson High School
Springfield Road,
Kearsley,Bolton
Lancashire BL4 8HY

about the university ones i don't know. Sometimes you need to be a member and sometimes you don't it all depends. I haven't heard of that one though.

You might ask around, one of the sensei's may be willing to come closer to your area to teach. That is what many people do, or at least what they say they do.

It would be nice if that was possible. I cant see it though. I find it a bit weird that they have 2 clubs in greater manchester (more or less the out skirts of the city but small cities in their own right) but not one single class within Manchester. If i had a car it would be less trouble but at this point it takes 1 and half hours to get from north manchester to south manchester never mind going past the south and into stockport or bolton. I was sure one of the facilities in the town centre would have a class going but the main choices are karate and tae kwon do with Aikido being a far placed 3rd. The funny thing is that if the teachers were able to come to centre manchester im more then sure they would get many more students, considering better advertisment and that its 30mins or better from any where in manchester.

You can set one up. In our area one guy did just that. Ask for a sensei to come over once or twice a week and practice at a jcc or something. But the tkd And karate problem stems from them being an olympic sport. Most of them are no longer taken seriously amongst the more traditional and hardcore Martial artists. Unless they show us they are serious and not just for show.
Anyways if more come out ill contact you. It would also be helpful if we had a more precise location of your house.

Thanks ill try to help with the locations much as i can. I live in the northside of Manchester in Cheetham hill pretty close to strangeways prison and the manchester fort should be another land mark. Of course i dont want to give my full address on the net but you can take it that i live on cheetham hill road, near to the city centre.

I know what you mean about TKD and Karate, it seems like everyone is an expert these days and while im taking up a new hobby just from interest id also prefer not to be only for show. im not really in for boosting rights ^-^

I have been doing Taekwondo for 12 years now, one thing that I noticed is the more you do martial arts, no matter what your training in, you will gain more contacts with people in different disciplines. Because of my training in Taekwondo, I was able to meet a ninjitsu teacher and start learning from him.

I think once you start training in a martial art it becomes easier to branch out into other disciplines. Don't overlook Taekwondo and Karate just because a lot of people do it.

I have been doing Taekwondo for 12 years now, one thing that I noticed is the more you do martial arts, no matter what your training in, you will gain more contacts with people in different disciplines. Because of my training in Taekwondo, I was able to meet a ninjitsu teacher and start learning from him.
I think once you start training in a martial art it becomes easier to branch out into other disciplines. Don't overlook Taekwondo and Karate just because a lot of people do it.
No you are right. Those have become the gateway Martial arts or the starter martial arts if you will. The only problem is 90% of them have become belt factories and mcdojo's.

Back
Top Bottom