What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

katsu don recipie

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
Katsudon = my favorite Japanese dish ever

Gosh, I love it, and I make it more than any other Japanese dish. That and nikujaga.

bezz

先輩
Reaction score
ソースカツ丼

"Sauce katsudon," just tonkatsu and Worcester sauce on bowl of rice with no eggs (perhaps a thin bed of shredded cabbage inbetween) had been served first by Masutaro Takahata in 1913, years before "real" katsudon was invented.
He relocated his restaurant to hometown Fukui in 1924.

Europe-ken
1-7-4 Junka, Fukui-shi, Fukui 910-0023 Japan
phone: +81(776)21-4681

Related post

bezz

先輩
Reaction score
デミかつ丼

Katsudon in Okayama is a little different from regular sauce katsudon; they use demi-glace instead of tonkatsu sauce. The recipe was invented by the founder of Ajitsukasa Nomura restaurant, Saichiro Nomura.

Ajitsukasa Nomura (est. 1931)
1-10 Heiwa-cho, Okayama-shi, Okayama 700-0827 Japan
phone: +81(86)222-2234

Kyoko_desu

先輩
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bezz
"Sauce katsudon," just tonkatsu and Worcester sauce on bowl of rice with no eggs (perhaps a thin bed of shredded cabbage inbetween)
Oh yes, I now remember when I was travelling in Fukui, I ordered a "katsudon" in a restaurant. I had to ask the waitress what it was supposed to be when I saw what she brought to my table. At first, I was like "This is not what I ordered..." but I took it and ate it, and yeah, I liked it! (I still like the one with eggs better though.)

bezz

先輩
Reaction score
たれカツ丼

Kyoko_desu said:
I had to ask the waitress what it was supposed to be when I saw what she brought to my table.
"Katsudon" in Niigata is actually tare-katsudon, small-sized pork cutlets soaked in soy-based sauce just like warm soba/udon soup for a bit, served on the top of the bowl or rice.

bezz

先輩
Reaction score
bezz said:
"Katsudon" in Niigata is actually tare-katsudon, small-sized pork cutlets soaked in soy-based sauce just like warm soba/udon soup for a bit, served on the top of the bowl or rice.
invented at:

Tonkatsu Taro
6-973 Furumachi-dori, Niigata-shi, Niigata 951-8063 Japan
phone: +81(25)222-0097

katsudon-1.jpg

Top Bottom