What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Kanji

drewa

先輩
Reaction score
Hello!
This time my question isn't on grammar, or vocabulary.
But I've managed to learn 244 Japanese words now! But out of all of them I need to brush up some more on 18 of their kanji writings.

So recently I had this thought of do I need to be able to write all this kanji by hand.
So, do I? What is kanji like in Japan? By that, I mean, how often do you write Kanji? Wouldn't it only be mostly used in schools? Since after all the students would have to write papers, take exams, and such. And in a workplace in Japan along with any other situation, I imagine electronics that can easily convert the hiragana into kanji are being used more. I don't know how many Japanese people can write most of the kanji but I know for sure that they can recognize it.

As of now it's going great learning how to write the kanji. I've memorized so much of it. But would getting the recognition of the kanji be better? For example, I make 10 flashcards and instead of writing it over and over, would it be better for me to simply be able to recognize it with reading practice?

Usually when I am learning to write the kanji, I will write it at the max, about 10 times before I can then write it from memory. And say I forget to write a kanji, all I have to do is flip my flashcard over and in my mind I will be thinking "Ohhhhhhhhhh" cause I absolutely recognize it.

So, please share your knowledge on this! Thanks!

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
Personally I think a learner living outside of Japan doesn't need to focus on hand-writing (unless they have an interest in it). Learning how to use an IME (the software you use for inputting Japanese) properly is of more immediate use.

It is true that people normally can read more than they can write by hand. However, although most people probably don't write long essays or anything by hand (the same in the UK or US), think of all the times you write by hand during your day to day life - there's lots of little things, like leaving someone a quick message or addressing an envelope or taking notes in a meeting. Then the things for which you really should write by hand - e.g. writing a message in a birthday card or similar.

drewa

先輩
Reaction score
Oh okay :)
Thank you. From now on I will focus less on my writing. After I am lots better at reading though I think I'll practice my writing again so I can be able to simply have that ability. Also, I guess I'll practice writing during school since I don't have the time there in class to bring out my phone and look through some Japanese articles haha

Top Bottom