What's new

Kanji Translation - help please

Musume

Registered
2 Jul 2015
20150701_122951.jpg 20150701_123010.jpg Hi, I am new to the site. I have taken one of my father's old martial arts gi's and had a couple of pillows made to remember him by. Looking at the Kanj's on the gi's I cannot tell what they mean. I've tried to no avail on some of the kanji sites to decifer them. It is an old gi' and I don't know if someone can make out the characters as some of them are a little blurred. Photos are attached. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sincerest thanks
20150701_122951.jpg
20150701_123010.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know exactly. Hopefully someone else will fill in the blanks.

In the first picture, the first two kanji are 宗家 which probably refers to a particular school/style of whatever martial arts your father was practicing. I can't read the third kanji of that set.

In the second picture, the kanji are 慈眼必誅. Unfortunately I don't know what it means. I thought it might be an ateji for your father's name, but it seems to be some buddhist-related term. A bit too cryptic for me.

In the first picture, I agree with Majestic. The first two kanji appear to be 宗家. The third could be 普 perhaps?
In martial arts, 宗家 (souka) refers to the originator of a particular style. Not sure how 普 could play into that (could be the name of a person or style), but then again, I'm not sure I'm reading that last kanji correctly. It's pretty tough to make out.

In the second picture:
慈眼 (jigen) is a Buddhist term that refers to the merciful gaze of a higher being upon the world.
必誅 (hicchuu?) doesn't appear to be a word. But its meaning can be easily deciphered, as 必 means certain, and 誅 means the death penalty.

After looking around a bit, I found a thread on a Japanese Shaolin Kung-Fu (or Shorinji Kenpo) website where this term 慈眼必誅 was knocked about. Apparently, it refers to a brand of self-defence that relies on pre-emptive strikes to remove a threat before it even becomes one, all in the name of the greater good.

Thank you. The souka maybe means Soke? The head of my Dad's martial art possibly. That would make sense... I believe this was a gi my Dad first used to train in when he was much much younger. Thank you at least I have some idea as to the meanings behind the kanjis

Back
Top Bottom