What's new

Kanji symbols

JapanKhan23

後輩
18 Apr 2014
Hi,
My very first post on these forums :)
I am processing photos from a very recent trip to Japan (our first one!...What an a-m-a-z-i-n-g country...) and would like to know what the 2 red Kanji symbols on a particular one mean:
001.jpg
I think I've identified the first one as "East"...Is this correct?...How about the second one?
"arigatou gozaimasu"!

That is a company name, "Touhatsu". The second kanji means roughly "leave", "depart", "originate (from xx)". It is almost certainly a contraction of a longer name they had in the past, but I couldn't confirm that on their home page.

The company specializes in fresh/refrigerated food distribution from markets such as Tsukiji, where you took the photo.

東発
Tōhatsu

That's the name of a transport company. Tōhatsu is an abbreviation of 京魚市場送株式会社 kyō Uoichiba Hassō Kabushikigaisha "Tokyo Fish Market Shipping Company".

EDIT:
Their HP contains their history.;-)

東京魚市場発送株式会社から平成2年に現在の社名に改称。
Company 企業情報|株式会社 東発

Thank you guys.

Your kind, prompt and "to-the-point" reply is an extension of the way I felt Japan.

Most appreciated.

JK

So sorry...I need further help.

What do these mean?

001.jpg

They were in a "forest" of vertical banners in the Hata-age Benzaiten Shrine, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu in Kamakura.

Again, thank you for any help.

JK

奉納
旗上辨戝天
Hōnō
Hataage Benzaiten
Dedication
Hataage Benzaiten

The dedicator's prayers are listed in the left side, such like 家内安全[kanai anzen] "safety of my family" or 心願成就[shingan jōju] "realization of my wishes".

Thank you, Toritoribe.

I understand then that the banners are put there with the pre-printed symbols and then the prayers/wishes are added by hand by the visitors, correct?

Those who have wishes dedicate the banners (= pay the shrine), then the shrine writes their names, prayers and the date on the banners, and plants them there.

Back
Top Bottom