What's new

Kango verbs + に purpose

Reaction score
Most of the time i see kango verbs retaining their する in patterns like 図書館に勉強しに来ます But there are some instances like 公園へ散歩に行きます where する is omitted (it's 散歩に not 散歩しに)

For now I stick to using する with all the kango verbs due to uncertainty, but would like to know when it's ok to omit する?

undrentide

Japa'n vagyok
Reaction score
It is not kango verb + に, it's noun + に. :)
散歩に行く (go for a walk)、買物に行く (go shopping) - here the particle に indicate the purpose of the action (= 行く)

Reaction score
Ah, i think i get it. 講堂へ講義に行く implies that i go to hear a lecture 講堂へ講義しに行く implies that i go to give a lecture. Thanks for clearing this out, @undrentide

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
講堂へ / に講義に行く also means "I go to give a lecture". 講堂へ / に受講に行く / 受講しに行く is used for "I go to hear a lecture". 講堂での講義に行く can mean both "to give a lecture" and "to hear a lecture", though.

The key is what the part of speech of the word preceding に is, not the meaning of it. See the followng examples.

パリにフランス語の勉強に行く。
パリにフランス語を勉強しに行く。

In the former example, 勉強 is a noun, therefore the possession の is used. On the other hand, を is used in the latter case since 勉強し is the -masu stem of a verb 勉強する. The meaning is the same in either case.