What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Article Kanazawa Castle Park

JREF

JREF Editor
Contributor
Joined
15 Mar 2002
Messages
22,254
Reaction score
205
JREF submitted a new Article:

Kanazawa Castle Park

Kanazawa Castle Park is located next to Kenroku-en. Originally, Kenroku-en was an outlying garden of the castle before it was opened to the public in 1871. Kanazawa Castle (金沢城 Kanazawa-jō) was the seat of the powerful Maeda clan who ruled the Kaga Domain for fourteen generations from 1583 until the end of the Edo Period.

The castle was destroyed several times in battles (1592), by fires (1602, 1620, 1631, 1759, 1881) and by earthquakes (1858) but was continuously rebuilt and expanded. Due to its immense size, it was called 'the castle of 1,000 tatami'. The only original structure that remained is the impressive Ishikawa-mon from 1788. In 2001, the diamond-shaped Hishi-yagura and the Gojikken-nagaya, the armoury, were reconstructed using traditional methods as well as modern techniques.

View attachment 27497
Ishikawa-mon was constructed between 1762 and 1788 and is the only original...

Read more about this article here...
 

Similar threads

Replies
0
Views
560
Replies
0
Views
613
Top Bottom