What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Kōhaku Uta Gassen

Davey

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever seen the Kōhaku Uta Gassen ? I can't wait to see it this year!

what is Kōhaku Uta Gassen?

Kōhaku Uta Gassen (ツ紅窶昶?吮?ーテ個坂?。ツ静ュ, Kōhaku Uta Gassen?), more commonly known as simply "Kōhaku," is an annual music show televised by NHK on New Year's Eve in Japan, ending shortly before midnight (when NHK switches to a frenzy of "Happy New Year" greetings from around the nation). Literally "Red and White Song Battle," the program divides the most popular music artists of the year into competing teams of red and white. The "red" team or akagumi (ツ静披?枠, ツ紅窶枠, akagumi?) is composed of all female artists (or groups with female vocals), while the "white" team or shirogumi (窶昶?吮?枠, shirogumi?) is all male (or groups with male vocals). The honor of performing on Kōhaku is strictly by invitation, so only the most successful J-Pop artists and enka singers can perform. In addition to the actual music performances, the costumes, hairdos, makeup, dancing, and lighting are also important.

Notable J-Pop acts on Kōhaku

Here is a list of some notable J-Pop/J-Rock acts who have performed on Kōhaku in recent years:

* Ayumi Hamasaki
* Chemistry
* Da Pump
* Dreams Come True
* Every Little Thing
* Gackt
* globe
* Ken Hirai
* L'Arc-en-Ciel
* m-flo
* Mika Nakashima
* Morning Musume
* Namie Amuro
* SMAP
* T.M. Revolution
* TOKIO
* Aya Ueto
* w-inds.
* Yuna Ito

From Wikipedia

Video's from Kouhaku Uta Gassen

X Japan
Ayumi Hamasaki
Gackt - Last Song
Akina Nakamori Jukkai

More info
article

Mikawa Ossan

気づいたらカッパだ
Reaction score
I'll never forget my first New Years in Japan.

I was in Nagasaki at my fiance's house. The whole family got together and we gathered around the TV to watch Kouhaku, although I didn't know what it was at the time. I thought it was really cool that so many famous singers got together to give a concert to welcome in the new year. It was great, too, because I even recognized some of the artists! It was a great night.

Kouhaku is a lot of fun. I hate to watch it alone, but if I can ever muster a group together, I love to watch it on New Years!

Flashjeff

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan
Reaction score
For decades, anybody who was anybody in the J-Pop arena performed on Kohaku Uta Gassen which, in it's heyday, was said to have gotten some absolutely insane ratings numbers, somewhere along the lines of 75% of all viewers tuned in to the show. Speaking of performers who did their thing on the show:

Pink Lady: circa 2000

👍

Top Bottom