What's new

Just Curious d(^_^)b

Swifty

先輩
16 Oct 2003
Well my Question is directed more so at the Japanese in the forum 🙂

I am always hearing about Japanese becoming Americanized
Looking through penpals and everything like that
they always seem to wanting to know about america or meeting american people.

Im just kinda curious why that is? 😌
I am from Canada and we are pretty much the same as America,
and very multicultural ^_^ ;)

I am just curious if it is just Japanese or all races in the world that
are mainly intersted in US, and kind of why that is? :confused:

(this is not a canada vs america war i am just curious)

Originally posted by Swifty
I am from Canada and we are pretty much the same as America,
and very multicultural ^_^ ;)

I hope your not telling your penpals that, I mean, if I was your penpal and you were lying to me like that I'd then be upset and probably not write back.

Josh

Originally posted by Frank D. White
Funny, most Americans would rather be in some other country !

Frank

I'd never want to live in Japan or anywhere else, America is the greatest place out of all countries.

Josh

Re: Re: Just Curious d(^_^)b

Originally posted by ghettocities
I'd never want to live in Japan or anywhere else, America is the greatest place out of all countries.

Josh

I disagree...Ireland is the greatest 😏

obviously you missed the part about not making this a Canada vs USA thread

but anyways I'm just asking a question as to why japanese are so interested in the US?

and Being from Canada i have no reason to pretend to be american
I wouldnt want to be anyways.

Swifty 👏

obviously you missed the part about not making this a Canada vs USA thread

but anyways I'm just asking a question as to why japanese are so interested in the US?

and Being from Canada i have no reason to pretend to be american
I wouldnt want to be anyways.

Swifty 👏

America is the entertainment capitial of the world, that's why.
It's not like they are pretending to be American, it's just they are following after celebrities- which most happen to be from America, or are westernized to try to make it in America. It was once said that you didn't make it unless you made it big in the US.
Sure, great music/celebrities come out of Japan, Canada, The British Isles (yay for us)...but when it comes down to it, all those who want to make it big slowly find their way to the screens/stages/magazines of America.
I say blame it on Canada.

Originally posted by eimik
nah, its because america bombs everything.

That's because THEY CAN.
don't be sad that Canada doesn't have the money nor balls. ;)

wow, I can be mean when I want to. hehe. :D I'm just messing with you though. so no hard feelings Eh?

"don't be sad that Canada doesn't have the money"
try Canada has a CONSCIENCE.
we don't have the money neither! look at bush crying like a baby begging the UN, "yeah, i went directly against what you said, plus i ain't found no WMDs, but give me some money anyway"

Originally posted by Shigatsu
That's because THEY CAN.
don't be sad that Canada doesn't have the money nor balls. ;)

wow, I can be mean when I want to. hehe. :D I'm just messing with you though. so no hard feelings Eh?

I dont call myself a nationalist, but Canada would rather spend money on other issues.
Yo, I dont know why you are saying Canada doesnt have any money, because you would know that America has this overwehlming debt/deficit and is asking financial aid from the UN for all the Iraq blah blah blah.

Originally posted by Keiichi
I love living Hawaii. You can see Japanese people and be in the US at the same time. :D

Same goes for any west coast university :) Except it's better than Hawaii cause the exchange students don't live here thus they can't poke holes in our tires, be scandelous and once i'm ready for a new batch they just roll right on in for the new year.

Josh

Now that you all got that out of your system, Japan used to idolize the US because we bombed the crap out of them, forced them to abandon their emperor and the claim he was a god as well as their nationalistic ways for military causes, so to fill the vacuum there, they took to wanting to emulate the US...and Europe, too....by the way Euro fashion and cuisine are concerned...from the '70's when their economy finally shot up so that they could finally afford luxuries again, many of the slave-work driven masses wanted a piece of the American Dream, so they began buying images of what "they" believed was Americana, fashions, cars, movie icons, posters, etc., and placed them in their tiny apartments or houses, assuming they could afford such dwellings. The '80's and '90's had a flood of spoiled rich kids that wanted even more than their well-to-do parents, so they started going overseas for the home-stay programs, exchange student programs, etc., because they knew that as long as they stayed in Japan, all they'd know was engrish...and what the rest of the wannabes knew...so it became a status symbol...at least until the economy fell out...
but mostly now it's because there are still many things you can buy cheaper in the US than in Japan, despite the Costcos and other discount shops over there now.....
Plus, the average American, as Josh shows, is filled with pride (sometimes misplaced) of what America is, and the average Japanese, who loves iconism, loves the illusion of Hollywood and the Infotainment capital of the world...and if you limit your touring omiyage buying frenzy to isolated spots like Hawaii, NYC and Los Angeles, chances are you can avoid seeing the problematic obese folks suing McDees because they are too stupid to realize it was their own choice, or the other losers that make up the majority of America's current whiners on the right and left of the political spectrum.... :D

And no, Josh...not calling you a loser....'sides, you're not an "Average American" :D

Britain is No.1 =D No not really, i dont see me living in Britain all my life !!! But Britain will always be Home to me !!! Yes i have noticed that alot of japanese want friends from America !!! Britain seems to get missed off cos its smaller =P but i still have plenty of pen friends who want to come to the UK =D

methinks the jipangu folks like British Engrish very well, since it's closer to how they actually speak at times...but until England can jolly well start coming out with blockbuster schlock movies and tv shows that force the mediamaniac japanese to want to emulate them, America will be the default country to emulate....

America is the entertainment capitial of the world, that's why.
It's not like they are pretending to be American, it's just they are following after celebrities- which most happen to be from America, or are westernized to try to make it in America. It was once said that you didn't make it unless you made it big in the US.
Sure, great music/celebrities come out of Japan, Canada, The British Isles (yay for us)...but when it comes down to it, all those who want to make it big slowly find their way to the screens/stages/magazines of America.
I say blame it on Canada

Hmm....alot of those american stars are really canadian <grin> we canucks are slowly leaching into your culture....beleive you me eh?...but its a national secret, so now I have to kill you. 🙂

Originally posted by djl_ottawa
Hmm....alot of those american stars are really canadian <grin> we canucks are slowly leaching into your culture....beleive you me eh?...but its a national secret, so now I have to kill you. 🙂
The best thing to come out of Canada:
Tom Green...no wait...Mike Myers...
oh, and we can't forget Kids in the Hall....
:)

But then again we have some bad ones like...celene dion....*shutter*

but i must say Hockey is the best thing to come out of canada

or hmm maybe basket ball ahh well The best players at least came from here ^_^

and I admit it Canadian Films are really bad lol, but ! we also dont have multi million dollar companies back them, so they do what they can lol ^_^

*shutters again at thought of celene dion:mad: 😲 :box:

celene dion....*shutter

Tell me about it. I get less of a shudder after walking on a large spider.

What about Brian Adams? The Guess Who? (who still does the best rendition of American Woman since they WROTE the damn song). Barenacked Ladies. The list goes on.

I am just curious if it is just Japanese or all races in the world that
are mainly intersted in US, and kind of why that is? :confused:

Well I think you shoudn't say that all races were interested in US (and in a way you didn't), it's individual. But for example I'm not interested in it, and I don't understand why some people admire the country so much..some of the people might be great, but the country itself...sorry :/

Back
Top Bottom