What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Just a simple kanji question

Johnathan

先輩
Reaction score
Hi everyone. What's this Kanji?

third_title_power_dragon.gif

I've looked a lot, but can't find it. Thanks.

mdchachi

Reaction score
There's a good chance that it doesn't actually exist and was made up. That sort of thing happens. Or perhaps it's Chinese.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I read on another forum that it is the Chinese kanji for "dragon" never adopted in Japan. Which was also my first inclination given the name :).

tasuki

先輩
Reaction score
Well, the closest approximation to it that I've been able to find in a kanji dictionary is 「犮」(はつ, hatsu), but it doesn't seem to be used in Japanese. The Japanese kanji for dragon is 「竜」 (ryuu)

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
If you look up dragon through an English-Chinese online translation service, such as Babelfish, it comes up as the one used in that ad.

tasuki

先輩
Reaction score
So, it is Chinese... I wasn't sure. The one I found pops up in an Japanese IME search (IME pad; with pronounciation and such), but it doesn't in any other dictionary... My apoplogies for only half reading your post...🙂

lightman

後輩
Reaction score
This morning I was looking at a Chinese restaurant, it's name was 'Neuf-Neuf Dragon' and the Kanji used for Dragon looked more like the Japanese one (竜) thought different but no way close to the one on 'Sobe Dragon'...

and so far I always see the same Kanji as the one on that restaurant on clothes and other restaurant with Dragon in their name.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
Maybe the other one is an updated, stylized version of an older kanji. I don't know. Whey don't you ask a Chinese speaker? ;)

Mae

先輩
Reaction score
hmm...that's a chinese word. Meant Dragon. It' a simplified version of chinese u see, the traditional one is 龍﹐and the simplified one is as shown in the file above. it's meaning is the same as japanese 竜

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom