What's new

JREF Community Meet (Tokyo)

Ewok85

先輩
14 Nov 2003
In a weird twist of fate, it appears I have practically no foreign friends in Tokyo! :(
Between having gone to a Japanese High school and working in a Japanese office all of the people I interact with are Japanese, and we can't be having that! What kind of gaijin would I be if I didn't spend at least a few hours each week imbiding in the local specials and complaining about some aspect of the culture?
So I'm looking for interested people in Tokyo (for the record I live in southern Saitama) who wouldn't mind getting together for a JREF members meet. If it goes well it could make it a monthly thing ;)
The second part is suggestions for places to meet. I was thinking we could break it down into 3 different things
- places to simply meet and talk. Quiet pubs and cafes etc.
- places to meet and have a meal. Restaurants, izakaya, pubs, etc.
- places to go wild and party till the sun comes up. Pubs, clubs, etc.
If you think it sounds like a good idea, if you have a suggestion or just want to say your interested, drop in a note. I'll list whos interested along with suggestions for venues in this message. Also when would be best (I'm thinking Saturday arvo/night). I'm thinking a tentative first meet on the 1st of March, so get posting and let me know!

Sounds like a good idea. We have been planning such a meeting for ages. I assume you mean some time after April 1st. I'm on board!

As for a possible venue: my suggestion.

Ewok85 said:
In a weird twist of fate, it appears I have practically no foreign friends in Tokyo! :(

So what? I have no foreign friends where I live either.

Between having gone to a Japanese High school and working in a Japanese office all of the people I interact with are Japanese, and we can't be having that! What kind of gaijin would I be if I didn't spend at least a few hours each week imbiding in the local specials and complaining about some aspect of the culture?

Well-adjusted?

Hah, you could maybe put it like that...

I'm just thinking I might diversify a bit. I had a few Japanese friends back home who go together and we went out. Can do the same here... just the opposite ;)

Nice Thomas! I'll update it tomorrow/Friday when the brain starts up again....

Mike Cash said:
So what? I have no foreign friends where I live either.
Well-adjusted?

Stop grumbling, Mike and grant us the honour of joining our gathering.

< no cute smilie inserted as a favour to Mr. Cash >

I doubt that it will be possible for me to make it. And I would dearly love to. Honestly, I would.

<Mr. Cash doesn't see the smilies, thanks to Adblock, so insert as many as you like and give not a thought to my gittish ways>

I'm guessing by the first post that you are leaning more towards having this at a pub...since you listed that option three seperate times!

Wish I could go, but it is a little far to travel, and I don't think the wife would buy the excuse that I have to go because "all of the JREF regulars will be there!"

CC1 said:
I'm guessing by the first post that you are leaning more towards having this at a pub...since you listed that option three seperate times!
Wish I could go, but it is a little far to travel, and I don't think the wife would buy the excuse that I have to go because "all of the JREF regulars will be there!"
*Looks at flag...* Could be a genetic thing... I've been to towns in the outback that are nothing more than a pub, and whenever I went camping with my parents more often than not the only place to eat is the local, and the next closest place would be yet another pub (albeit 40mins away). 😌
Maybe the wife would like to do some shopping, and oh, I hear that someone I know might be in Tokyo, oh fancy that, theres more than one person here! What an odd coincidence..... 👍
Mike Cash said:
I doubt that it will be possible for me to make it. And I would dearly love to. Honestly, I would.
Anytime better than others? You've got a widespread influence around the internet, I wouldn't mind just meeting you in real life to say hi 🙂
<Mr. Cash doesn't see the smilies, thanks to Adblock, so insert as many as you like and give not a thought to my gittish ways>
🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 ;)

thomas said:
Sounds like a good idea. We have been planning such a meeting for ages. I assume you mean some time after April 1st. I'm on board!
As for a possible venue: my suggestion.

I'll be in Tokyo the week of April 23rd, I'd be happy to join in also.

Sounds like a great idea.

I'll also be in Japan (Kanagawa-Ken) from April 17th - 27th. I'd be more than happy to attend a gathering if one can be arranged during that time.

It would be great to meet some of the faces behind the posts.

interested in meeting new people

Ewok85 said:
So I'm looking for interested people in Tokyo (for the record I live in southern Saitama) who wouldn't mind getting together for a JREF members meet. If it goes well it could make it a monthly thing ;)
The second part is suggestions for places to meet. I was thinking we could break it down into 3 different things
- places to simply meet and talk. Quiet pubs and cafes etc.
- places to meet and have a meal. Restaurants, izakaya, pubs, etc.
- places to go wild and party till the sun comes up. Pubs, clubs, etc.
If you think it sounds like a good idea, if you have a suggestion or just want to say your interested, drop in a note. I'll list whos interested along with suggestions for venues in this message. Also when would be best (I'm thinking Saturday arvo/night). I'm thinking a tentative first meet on the 1st of March, so get posting and let me know!
I will be coming to Japan next week. Staying in Kawasaki with a friend. Would like to meet some people. Also looking for part time jobs for English>teach/tutor/conversation. Please let me know when you will have a get together. I am from San Diego, CA. Male-43 yrs. [email protected]
Thanks much-------Troy

I wont be able to go back to japan for quite sometime using most of my vacation for this trip to fukuoka.

I saw an English pub in tokyo in one of the many driving expiditions in the urban amazon, wish i had time to check it out, i could show my g/f's dad some real beer.

Wish i could come guys. ☝

I wonder if he still wants to meet people from Tokyo... Im off tomorrow (Sunday) and have nothign to do but waste my time in Harajuku/Shibuya.

Ewok85 said:
Anytime better than others?

Sometime when I have money. Can't imagine when that might be, though.

You've got a widespread influence around the internet

"Fools' names and fools' faces, etc etc etc"

I wouldn't mind just meeting you in real life to say hi 🙂

Very kind of you to say so. The feeling is mutual. I must confess that I am quite a disappointment in real life.

Ewok85 said:
http://spongecell.com/jref

New! Put in your availability! (For those who have provided it, I've done it already as a guide).

Cool calendar. My schedule for Japan is as follows:

Arrive in Narita April 23 around 3:00 PM.
I'll be in Sendai April 24-25, return to Tokyo April 26.

So basically, I'm open April 26 (afternoon/evening) through April 28. I have plans in Tokyo April 29.

nurizeko said:
i could show my g/f's dad some real beer.

Off topic, but I found some local (Australian) beer in my local (Japanese) supermarket, quite a surprise! I'm thinking about asking them to stock my favourite instead, I'd be more than happy to buy it in bulk on a regular basis... 👍

Mike Cash said:
Very kind of you to say so. The feeling is mutual. I must confess that I am quite a disappointment in real life.

Can't say I'm any more exciting in real life either :p

Hi all!
i'm interested to join the gathering~
quiet pubs, izakaya, clubs, anywhere is fine with me =)
so the gathering will still be held around late April?

Thats looks to be the best. Probably around the last weekend in April right now.

Well is the meet still on? Time is winding down and I would like to set aside a date if that can be arranged.

Pachipro said:
Well is the meet still on? Time is winding down and I would like to set aside a date if that can be arranged.

Ditto! Looks like Thursday, 4/27 or Friday, 4/28 is the best for me. The only thing going so far on those days that I have a lunch meeting on Friday. Wednesday, 4/26 may be okay in the evening (depends upon what time I get back into Tokyo from Sendai and get my hotel check-in done).

Back
Top Bottom