What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

JR train operational hour

koolkool

Kouhai
Reaction score
I read somewhere in this forum that JR train operates from 8.00 am to 18 pm.Is this correct ? I'm wondering..if i want to go ,for example at 20.00 pm to Roppongi from Shinagawa, and go back to Shinagawa hmm:) about 03.00 in the morning what will be my transportation except Taxi ? I had ride a taxi and it was way too expensive for me..Arigatou👍

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
There are almost no trains in Japan that run any later than 12:30 AM. This seems to be in order to give business to taxis, because the trains would surely do good business through the night if they were running.

So basically, a taxi is your only choice.

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
00.30 is usually the absolute latest. You won't be so lucky with all trains. In and around Tokyo, you're probably good 'til 11, 11:30. Where I live, the last train from Tokushima city to my town departs at 7:11, and the last train leaves at 10:20 (then getting home involves a 30 minute taxi ride).

koolkool

Kouhai
Reaction score
Jr

Yes yes i c,so what do u suggest if i miss the train..where will i spend the night? Is it hard to find a hotel like capsule hotel there? how much it will cost me?:)

Pachipro

JREF Resident Alien
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Capsule hotels are not hard to find in Shinjuku and other places. Getting a spare capsule is another story. If you miss your last train and it is too long and expensive for a taxi ride, you can just hang out in an all night coffee shop or snack and such. Shinjuku, Roppongi, and such usually have all night spots.

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
Yeah. Staying up 'til 5:30 (when the trains usually start running again) isn't the end of the world, but it can wear you down. If you know you're going to miss the train and want a capsule, you can probably reserve the room when you arrive in the area and waltz right in when you're done partying.

koolkool

Kouhai
Reaction score
Ahahah...make sense mates..thank u..so if i catch the 05.30 train will it be crowded or not?
24 hour coffee shop..good idea Pachipro-san..
Since my base will be in Shinagawa (if possible), i'm haven't make a reservation yet, do u know the fare of JR yamanote line ticket from Shinagawa to Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Roppongi and Asakusa ?Arigatou

jimmyong

jong151e
Reaction score
Have you ever heard about Japan Railway Pass?It's a ticket for foreigner who want to feel free to travel Japan with unlimited times of taking JR within a period of time.It's especially for foreigner only but have to apply it before coming to Japan.

koolkool

Kouhai
Reaction score
JR railpass

Since my extended stay is only for 5 days and 4 nights ,i dont think i have to use the JR railpass 1 week ticket..but thank u for the suggestion, mate👍

yamada

先輩
Reaction score
Ahahah...make sense mates..thank u..so if i catch the 05.30 train will it be crowded or not?
24 hour coffee shop..good idea Pachipro-san..
Since my base will be in Shinagawa (if possible), i'm haven't make a reservation yet, do u know the fare of JR yamanote line ticket from Shinagawa to Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Roppongi and Asakusa ?Arigatou

Good point. the percentage of the starting train seems to be 20-30%. It's crowded to me.

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
Good point. the percentage of the starting train seems to be 20-30%. It's crowded to me.

From memory 100% means that every seat and every handle is being "used", and the first few trains out of Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ueno on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning (on the Yamanote, Rinkai, Keihintohoku and Chuou lines) is usually pretty packed, normally to 100% or more.

Top Bottom