What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Job Recruiting in Boston Career Forum

zxnm94

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 24 years old and will be graduating Cornell University at the end of 2020 with a bachelor's degree in Operations Research and Information Engineering. I'm a bit old since I had to finish my military service. I'm Korean and a US permanent resident, native in Korean and English, and advanced in Japanese (lets say about N1~N2ish, my grandmother is Japanese)
I have no internship experience whatsoever, and my gpa is pretty low (3.2).
I did some research before posting this thread and got to know that the Boston Career Forum mainly seeks Japanese students studying in the US, so I was wondering if I have a chance there. I'm not really stuck to one particular area/field, and personally want to work in a big company (ex) Rakuten, Amazon, Uber, Sumitomo, Nomura... you name it) or somewhere where I could utilize my language skillset. I always wanted to work in Japan since when I was a child, so I'm planning on the visit the BCF this year. Any information really helps!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Hello - I think you will have a good chance at the Boston Career Forum. I don't think they are looking especially for Japanese students studying in the US (well, maybe some are). I think mostly they are interested in people with good communication skills that can help them internationalize. If you have N1, and are also fluent in Korean and English, I would think you would be an interesting candidate for the companies mentioned. Rakuten sets the bar pretty low, and I think I would not recommend it for any of my friends. I would point interested people in the direction of Linkedin, Facebook, Netflix, Google, Sony (not necessarily in that order).

mdchachi

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 24 years old and will be graduating Cornell University at the end of 2020 with a bachelor's degree in Operations Research and Information Engineering. I'm a bit old since I had to finish my military service. I'm Korean and a US permanent resident, native in Korean and English, and advanced in Japanese (lets say about N1~N2ish, my grandmother is Japanese)
I have no internship experience whatsoever, and my gpa is pretty low (3.2).
I did some research before posting this thread and got to know that the Boston Career Forum mainly seeks Japanese students studying in the US, so I was wondering if I have a chance there. I'm not really stuck to one particular area/field, and personally want to work in a big company (ex) Rakuten, Amazon, Uber, Sumitomo, Nomura... you name it) or somewhere where I could utilize my language skillset. I always wanted to work in Japan since when I was a child, so I'm planning on the visit the BCF this year. Any information really helps!
Thanks!
Why not? It's not that far. It doesn't hurt to go. There's a chance. I actually went to it about 25 years ago but my Japanese abilities were poor at that time and it didn't work out for me. But it was a good experience. Good practice.
I realized my goal of living/working in Japan just a few years later after I got some industry work experience under my belt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom