What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Job Likelihood

Accurmi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this forum (as you may have gathered) and have a few questions.

I am an international school teacher currently living and working in Jakarta, Indonesia. I've been here for about 4 years and will be looking for another job elsewhere in January. Japan is high on my list of places to live and work, but I have one reservation: my girlfriend's ability to live/work there.

She is Indonesian, has a bachelor's degree, several years of experience in marketing, speaks fluent English, and holds a couple of internationally recognized credentials for the piano. What I'm wondering is if I take a job there as a teacher, would she be able to find any work? What are the chances? Does anyone know of any Indonesian companies operating in Japan (I know this is a long shot for anyone to know, but may as well try)? Is it possible to work there without speaking any Japanese? I have been digging around online for this, but it is proving to be a bit tricky. Would she be able to apply for a dependent visa even though we are not married? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
The dependent visa is a clear "no". Everything else is "it depends".

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
Agree with Mike.

About the only sort of job with no English would be teaching English, too. I know some foreign spouses who work off dependent visas, but for the stay-at-home wives, it's usually teaching cooking or dance, and a fair amount of Japanese is (obviously) required.

Top Bottom