What's new

JLPT N2 By January 2018

KijntheRelar

Kouhai
Reaction score
Based on what I know about the JLPT and where my Japanese is currently at along with my methods I'm using now with vocabulary, grammar, and Kanji; I frimly believe I can be at the level to pass JLPT N2 by the beginning of 2018. This is my goal that I'm firmly abiding by, not merely to pass the test, but to use it as a guide in my Japanese study.

I do not think I necessarily will take the JLPT but I do wanna have all the knowledge and skill it would take to pass it regardless, anything not covered in the test I need I'll probably also pick up as I continue to read and listen daily. However, I may decide to take it anyway (I'm not a fan of tests and it cost money and I have to travel far so probably not, I'm just using it as a guide and concrete goal to work towards.

Even though Kanji is my strong point, I'm currently working through the Kondansha Kanji course cover to cover learning any of them I do not know (or my knowledge of is weak even if I recognize them.). I estimate I should be easily done with all 2300 by the end of the year and that is knowing useful vocabulary and context of readings for each of the characters. I believe I just need to know all these regardless of the kanji covered in N2 so I'm not bothering looking at JLPT Kanji lists.

I plan on working through N4 and N3's grammar and listening first to make sure I got that down and probably am going to grab some JLPT Kanzen Master series books and work through the vocabulary and grammar books, may'be reading but I don't want too many books to deal with.
If 2018 comes and I'm not there yet, it's fine, at least I would have pushed my Japanese super far and would be close to N2 but if I work efficiently, I think I definitely can do it. Especially since Anki has made learning vocabulary near effortless. Thoughts or tips? Book Recommendations?

IF Anyone feels I'd be better off working through something like Tobira Nihongo or some Intermediate to advanced book, feel free to say so. I do not know if studying for JLPT is worth my time but I just want a concrete goal and being fluent is very abstract.

mdchachi

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest actually going through with it. Then you'll see exactly where your level is and make your goal that much more concrete. I know it's money and extra travel but still worth it if you care about Japanese that much. I've made 4-5 hour drives and stayed overnight in hotels for these kinds of tests.

nahadef

Doing it for himself
Reaction score
Or you could just buy a previous year's test to see how difficult it really is. If you use practice tests, you usually have a good idea of whether you can pass or not.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You may wish to download the pdf and audio files from the JLPT people and try the various levels before you go buying level-specific learning materials. If you've never taken one of the tests before it can be really hard to know which level you should be taking.

Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Official Practice Workbook | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

Be sure to use to stimulate test conditions as best you can. (Don't look at the questions before starting. Use a timer. That kind of thing).

KijntheRelar

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll definitely try those practice tests going from N5 to N3 to see where my current level lies.