What's new

JLPT 2004

tacutu

後輩
7 Jul 2004
Well, the test is over. What do you people think about this year's test?
I'd like to see some comments from other peolple who took it.

Chers

What is it...?

(can't find right words grmbl):
i heard of some sort of test of japanese where they see what kanji/ vocabulary you know etc, and they give you a diploma of some kind for it. is that jlpt?

sorry for the messy reply, but i can't find the right word's i want to say :) sorry.

Japanese
Language
Proficiency
Test

It tests knowledge of kanji, vocabulary, and grammar.

Overall the test itself wasn't too bad (I took the 2kyuu this year). I think the "goi" part section is easier than the years before, but It took me more time than usual to think about the first couple dokkai reading questions. As for the listening parts, I think the ones that came out were generally easier than the ones that I had been practicing with the Nihongo Journal, so I guess I probably survived that part.

Anyone here taking 1kyuu or 2kyuu this year?

Where do you guys take this test? I took the 2-kyuu like... damn... 6 or 7 years ago. Attempted the 1-kyuu the next year. Got like 50% or so and gave up -- it's filled with some pretty useless Japanese.

I Missed It!

:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

I was going to take it in Izumi, coming from Wakayama-ken. But, do to bad weather, my train was stopped for over an hour! Next, the schedule was running late. The train I needed to change to was delayed for another 30 minutes!

:mad:

Long story short, I missed the start. According to the test voucher, I could have obtained a note from the station and started it late, but given how far I had to go I still would've gotten there with little or no time left. Seeing as I was planning on taking level 2, there is no way I could've done this test in a rush, to say the least.

(sigh)
Well, at least I have a whole year to study before the next one...
Did anyone else take the test in Izumi?

I took 2-kyu... I don't think I did that well on the listening part. When I was practicing with the CD of last year's listening it seemed really easy and I could even almost pass the 1-kyuu listening test. But at the test they used this tiny little piece of crap tape player and the sound was all distorted and buzzy, plus I kept sort of zoning out for some reason. Oh well, I guess I'll find out if I passed or not in March.... why does it take so long to get the results?

mad pierrot said:
:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

I was going to take it in Izumi, coming from Wakayama-ken. But, do to bad weather, my train was stopped for over an hour! Next, the schedule was running late. The train I needed to change to was delayed for another 30 minutes!

:mad:

Long story short, I missed the start. According to the test voucher, I could have obtained a note from the station and started it late, but given how far I had to go I still would've gotten there with little or no time left. Seeing as I was planning on taking level 2, there is no way I could've done this test in a rush, to say the least.

(sigh)
Well, at least I have a whole year to study before the next one...
Did anyone else take the test in Izumi?

I had the exact same thing happen to me (almost). I'm applying to law school and had to take the LSAT in Tokyo on Sunday and all of the JR trains were delayed because of that freak wind storm. I was about 20 minutes late (I should have arrived about an hour early if hte trains had run on time), but thankfully they hadn't started the test yet.

I wanted to take the level 1 of the JLPT this year but because I was taking hte LSAT on the SINGLE SOLITARY day a year they hold the frigging JLPT I couldn't. That is a major source of annoyance with me, they really ought to hold it twice a year. It must be really frustrating for you to have to wait a whole year until the next time you can take a shot at it.

I feel your pain!

Yeah, the saving grace about the JLPT is that I can look forward to taking it again next year and I don't even know what country I'll be living in. I think it's offered almost anywhere there is a Japanese embassy.

One thing you should take into account w/ the old Nouryoku Shiken. It's usually the subject of contraversy amongst the people taking it, as there's really no standard. In fact, they adjust the difficult depending on how many people passed/failed the previous year (at least was the case when I was taking it). I believe the 1-kyuu is a bit more contraversial, but the 2-kyuu is victim as well.

I've got friends who passed the 1-kyuu like 10 years ago, but whom I can speak, read, and write better than. That's not to dog their Japanese, or people that have taken the test, but that test really only means one thing.... you're good at taking that specific test on that year. Which really sucks, since that's really the only one we have. :(

mad pierrot said:
I feel your pain!

Yeah, the saving grace about the JLPT is that I can look forward to taking it again next year and I don't even know what country I'll be living in. I think it's offered almost anywhere there is a Japanese embassy.

If you're going to be back home in Chi-town, you shouldn't have to travel too far. When I was doing research on where the tests were held in the US a few years ago, one of the locations was either Illinois or Indiana. I can't remember which, but I'm leaning towards Illinois. That location was also the closest one to me. It works out a lot better for you, though! :p

My goal is to pass the level 1 test... Then i could talk to everyone in japanese and annoy them. I personally think we should get like a group of 200 people with a good memory to remember 1 question or more and then make a mock test with answers to it. Har har har har har.

I took the 4-kyuu on Sunday. I've only been in Japanese class since July and I had to learn quite a bit that we hadn't covered in class to prepare, which is one of the positives I can attribute to the test. It forced me to accelerate my learning. I think I probably got 85-90% of everything right except for the listening part. If I did better than 50% on listening, I'll be satisfied. I wasn't real sure how to prepare for the listening part other than to listen to old tests, which I did. I took the test in Los Angeles.

Kamisama said:
My goal is to pass the level 1 test... Then i could talk to everyone in japanese and annoy them.

Reread my post. Just b/c you pass the test, doesn't mean you can speak really good Japanese (although the annoying part would be a personal issue). They sell mock-tests... so getting 200 people to remember 1 question won't really work.

GaijinPunch said:
Reread my post. Just b/c you pass the test, doesn't mean you can speak really good Japanese (although the annoying part would be a personal issue). They sell mock-tests... so getting 200 people to remember 1 question won't really work.

I'm speaking about for the current test that would be in progress..
Where do I find these recent mock tests?

I doubt the 2004 test has been released yet. Wait a few months and it should be out.

On another subject, could someone tell me which counter is used for bicycles? This was on the test last Sunday. The answer I chose was "dai" because I remembered that's a counter for machines. I wasn't sure, however, if a bicycle was the type of "machine" that would take this counter. Another possible answer was "tsu," which I kind of think of as a "default" counter to use when nothing else is applicable. So, which is right?

I got a lot of hits with 「自転車1台」on Google so I would assume that's the right answer.

The test is held in Illinois (in Chicago) and somewhere in California, at least, in the US, might be held in another location or two, but I had someone in my Japanese class take the lower level test and he took his in Chicago.

Yep. The Chicago Test is held at the embassy center right off Michigan Ave, near the Hancock Building. Same place where JETs are interviewed.

I missed this years!! *cries* Of course, once I found out that Georgia Tech in Atlanta wouldn't be giving the test this year, I kinda slacked off... Oh, well--4 kyuu next year! Hopefully, I'll be able to get to wherever the test is, since I couldn't afford it this time. (BTW, the test was also given in DC, at least, because without Atlanta it was the closest test place to me.)

The JLPT is held on the first Sunday of every December at the following test sites: New York (NY); Chicago (IL), Honolulu (HI), Los Angeles (CA), Atlanta(GA), San Francisco(CA), Washington D.C., and for the first time this year, Seattle (WA). Next year's test is on December 4.

Please tell me it wasn't held in Atlanta after all. The site for the test said that Atlanta wouldn't be one of the 2004 test sites!!!! *cries*

Back
Top Bottom