What's new

JET program: Any suggestions?

CBC Guy

"Nani ga okashin desu?!"
2 Nov 2006
Hi, I'm new here. anyways I'm thinking about registering for this program for 2008-2009. Has anyone done it before? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. 👍

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? How to approach the interview? Where to request placement?

Do your paperwork early. Let your professors know what you're doing so they can get your recs ready. JET is pretty rigid with the deadline.

And go to the forums at bigdaikon.com to see what some of the other teachers are like... you probably won't be thrilled with the less-than-human behavior going on there.

Thanks for the tips so far! 🙂

So what would be a good time to start the paper work for next year? March?

And for the interview... how formal is it? I suppose I should look as professional as possible right?

And as for placements, I understand I probably won't get into a big city. But could I at least be NEAR a big city? :)

Thanks for the help so far guys really appreciate it.

I don't think you get treated poorly in general on the JET Programme. Quite the opposite. I think you get treated exceptionally well considering the circumstances. I think many participants need a reality check, though.

Enough of that.

You'll get sent where they chose to send you. I knew a girl who was sent to a city between Kobe and Osaka in the Kansai region, and when I participated (Yes, I am an ex-JET) I was sent to the boondocks. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Make sure you bring an international drivers license if you go, whether you think you'll need it or not.

When you apply, there's a place for you to list your desired locations. Just be consistant and keep your desired locations close to one another. That's the best I think one can do.

Back
Top Bottom