What's new

JET/ALT people?

akaitsume1

世にも奇妙な物語
21 Jul 2009
I figure that there have to be some people on the thread who are or were or know JETs/ English teachers in Japan. My older brother, who has no experience with Japanese, is thinking of doing English teaching in Japan as a way to save up a little, but I've been hearing conflicting reports. Once upon a time, people with no experience in Japanese could get hired for JET, but I've heard that it's gotten way more competitive lately. I don't quite know enough about Eikaiwa schools to be able to advise him on those: if the hours are stable, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. ^_^

Since Nov. 2007 the largest eikaiwa (NOVA) went bankrupt due to shady business practices, putting 5000 people on the streets. The market is still trying to recover from that glut of teachers, but that's where a large portion of the competition stems from.

JET is reputable. It's the best deal fora newbie, and it's nearly the only place that pays airfare. Just realize that you get placed in more than one public school (usually in the countryside). Look at the brochure for more info. They only interview in your home country once a year (end of year), so you have a long wait before getting in (soonest is Aug. 2010).

Can one save money? Sure. Many don't because they can't manage their money, but look at it this way. The average wage for eikaiwa is around 220,000 - 250,000 yen/month. Half of that goes to basic necessities. JET offers 50,000 more per month (but you get most of that taken away as health insurance). If a person can't save something from a handful of 125,000 yen/month, something is wrong.

Eikaiwa hours are "stable"? What do you mean? Except for places that have fixed hours, contracts are by law supposed to state how many hours per week a teacher will work. Some employers may have split shifts or may allow workers to swap shifts, but the total hours are usually unchanging.

For more on JET, go to www.bigdaikon.com .

More Options

I figure that there have to be some people on the thread who are or were or know JETs/ English teachers in Japan. My older brother, who has no experience with Japanese, is thinking of doing English teaching in Japan as a way to save up a little, but I've been hearing conflicting reports. Once upon a time, people with no experience in Japanese could get hired for JET, but I've heard that it's gotten way more competitive lately. I don't quite know enough about Eikaiwa schools to be able to advise him on those: if the hours are stable, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. ^_^
More options are:
Gaba
GEOS
Another option is working as a English text proofreader.
Three companies that need non Japanese speakers are:
1. Crossindex
(Tokyo based. Low rates but nice environment)
They often have legal texts to proofread
2. Active Gaming Media
The manager is Spanish, called Ibai Ameztoy.
Currently they are working for native American proofreaders in Osaka area.
Their rates are higher than Crossindex but they are very strict with the quality (meaning that, if you are not professional, they can kick your *** veeery painfully).
3. Intac
This company works only with videogames.
🙂

If it's gotten more competitive, I don't know how much emphasis they're placing on the language ability. I'm a 2nd year JET, and a lot of new folks have little to no Japanese ability.

Glenski is right about a majority of JETs getting placed in the countryside, but there are also some with placements within major city limits (10 minutes out of Osaka, directly within Kobe, etc).

Depending on the kind of person your brother is, I don't know if JET is the best way to save money. If he's the kind of person who likes to bike, isn't huge on travel, and doesn't drink much, he'll probably save a ton. If he has to drive due to his placement, loves travel and likes to party, then he won't save as much as you might think. Cost for basic necessities can vary greatly (I've heard people paying rents anywhere from 0 to over $600 US) as well. If his main goal is to save money, though, he should be able to save something, if only the pension refund you get when you're done with JET.

Glenski is right about a majority of JETs getting placed in the countryside, but there are also some with placements within major city limits (10 minutes out of Osaka, directly within Kobe, etc).
Yes, and they are far fewer, and more competitive. Read the JET pamphlet to see just how many slots there are available.

quote]Depending on the kind of person your brother is, I don't know if JET is the best way to save money. If he's the kind of person who likes to bike, isn't huge on travel, and doesn't drink much, he'll probably save a ton. If he has to drive due to his placement, loves travel and likes to party, then he won't save as much as you might think.[/quote]True, however, consider that JET ALTs get paid more than most eikaiwa teachers (300,000 yen/month vs. 220,000-250,000), and that about 125,000 goes to basic necessities. What you do with the rest will decide how much you save.

Cost for basic necessities can vary greatly (I've heard people paying rents anywhere from 0 to over $600 US) as well.
Yes, this range does exist, but my figures above take into account paying for full rent. Moreover, $600 is not a huge amount anywhere in the civilized world. Perhaps it may seem like a lot to a fresh college grad, though.

Yes, and they are far fewer, and more competitive. Read the JET pamphlet to see just how many slots there are available.

True, however, consider that JET ALTs get paid more than most eikaiwa teachers (300,000 yen/month vs. 220,000-250,000), and that about 125,000 goes to basic necessities. What you do with the rest will decide how much you save.
Yes, this range does exist, but my figures above take into account paying for full rent. Moreover, $600 is not a huge amount anywhere in the civilized world. Perhaps it may seem like a lot to a fresh college grad, though.

I'm not sure competitive is the word I'd use for city placements, considering there's basically nothing you can do to get in other than claim a serious illness and require access to health care. But then why would you be going on JET? They just chuck you where they want, typically regardless of even region of country desired, let alone size of city/name of city requested. I'd just say it's harder to get.

I'm not sure what you're saying here...you're disagreeing with me when I'm agreeing with you? The only thing I don't agree with is that not saving money is somehow a sign of poor money skills. It's simply not a goal for some of us. If it is, like the OP's brother, then it is obviously possible at the sacrifice of some of the travel and play others indulge in.

Back
Top Bottom