What's new

Jenkins phones home

I'm looking forward to the first big interview where we get to hear his side of the story...

"A U.S. Military Deserter Reunites with his Japanese wife kidnapped by N. Korea"

would've been a better title for this topic. I was tempted to start a new thread but I'll stay with this.

I'm surprised that few people have brought up this subject. It's not even publicized much in the American press. I had to go to a BBC website.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Husband wants Japan kidnap victim home

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | North Korean mystery solved

The wife obviously wants to go back to Japan and live there, but the American husband will be arrested for desertion. He deserves to be punished--no question about that, even if he's old and has a family, etc. He would most likely be brought back to the States to serve his sentence.

The U.S. should make a deal with Japan so that Jenkins can serve his time in a Japanese prison so that his family can visit him.

"North Korea on Thursday threatened to call off talks with Japan on security issues unless Tokyo returned the five abductees.

In a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said Japan was creating 'a new obstacle to an improvement in relations'. "

WHAT NERVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> He deserves to be punished--no question about that

He's innocent until proven guilty. That's the way we do things in 'merica.

mdchachi said:
> He deserves to be punished--no question about that

He's innocent until proven guilty. That's the way we do things in 'merica.

1000 pardons!

I meant if he is found guilty.

But you don't like anything I say anyway.

That's not at all true. I know it's hard to believe but I sometimes make verbal gaffes & omissions too. ;-)

Here's a good article:

atimes.com

The more I read, the less it seems certain that he deserted. I mean, it seems like he is classified as a deserter essentially because North Korea says so.... since when did we start believing North Korea? Also, I've been to the DMZ. You can't exactly just walk across and expect a warm welcome. These are the same people that hacked two American soldiers to death with an axe, so it doesn't seem likely that they would really welcome one with open arms if he just walked over there like Jenkins is accused of doing.

But in the end this is somewhat of a moot discussion as the statute of limitations runs out in just a few months and Koizumi is planning on putting him up in Indonesia or another non-extradition country until then.

m477 said:
Here's a good article:

atimes.com
But in the end this is somewhat of a moot discussion as the statute of limitations runs out in just a few months and Koizumi is planning on putting him up in Indonesia or another non-extradition country until then.

This article seems to show that that might not be the case. The UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) also has this to say. From my non-professional reading, and if this copy of the UCMJ is up to date, it seems Jenkins is up the creek.

If Jenkins is guilty of desertion, technically he did so at a time of war and so could be punished by death (in the most extreme case). It would appear there is no statute of limitations in his case.

The only good news for Jenkins is that the government is still bound by the same burden of proof as in a civil trial, and in Jenkins's case, I think they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he really deserted and was not captured. Without the notes he did or did not write, the smoking gun if you will, the government will have a tough time reaching such a high level of proof. That won't stop them from keeping Jenkins in the brig (or whatever they keep grunts in) till they sort it out.

no matter how you look at his case, the whole family situation with those kidnapped by N. Korea is all messed up....
Aside from those allegedly deceased, methinks Soga's situation is one of the worst for those among the living....

What I can't believe is N. Korea wants the family RETURNED to N. Korea.

They already admitted kidnapping this woman! Are they F'ing nuts?

Seems Jenkins is coming to Japan on the 18th. It was all over the news yesterday and today. Either the US government has decided they don't have a case (lost the three letters saying he skipped out, can't believe anything NK media says anyway) or they want to throw Koizumi a political bone and let him play the hero.

Back
Top Bottom