What's new

Japanese Yakyu

Patator

先輩
24 Oct 2006
Japanese pro baseball final is taking place.

Sapporo is leading 2 - 1. I hope Saporro will win as I'm a Shinjo fan !

Else, I support Tojyo Giants but it was not a good season for them this year. And you what's your favorit club ?

Oh, I'm so into JPB, too!
Congrats on Sapporo having made it to Japan's champion team!

I don't have any preference on the Pacific League,
but I LOVE Tigers the best among the Central League.
I'm a crazy, notorious Tigers fan!! xD

There's been some games NPB vs MLB here, but Japan is doing poorly so far. T_T
Hope they win at least one game... *sighs*

Yeah, they really aren't doing too well. They've only managed a tie so far. 日米 is a bit misleading, though. MLB has players from all over the world, mostly notably from the Latin countries in the Carribean. Anyway, thanks for the info, Cue!

窶愿コ窶「テ is a bit misleading, though. MLB has players from all over the world, mostly notably from the Latin countries in the Carribean.
Oh right! Good point.
Even some Japanese players like Jojima and Iguchi belong to MLB!! LOL

Yeah, about that: who do they play for in these games? Well, I don't know anything about the selection process at all really. I'm guessing that the MLB goes with the All-stars, or maybe just the starting All-stars from this past season. But do they also take the Japanese players, or are they reserved for the Japanese team?

Erm, I'm sorry but I'm quite following you. T_T
The players who belong to MLB play for MLB regardless of their nationalities...?
And the members for All Japan are selected among players who belong to JPB...by votes by fans and recomments by managers of each team...
So, Jojima and Iguchi are on MLB All Star team...
Am I misunderstood your question? o.o;

WHAT!? 😲
Oh no!! Really!? That's no fair!!! :(
Gee, you lucky dog... 😭
*stares at Dutch B. with a finger in her mouth*
*snatches Dutch B's tickests, grins, whistles and runs away* :devilish:

One thing I don't get about the Japanese teams, is that they seem to have a major sponsor, which they're at least partially named after... it seems that it's less about the area they're from, and more about who signs their paychecks. I guess it's just being more honest than the American teams, but I thought that "日本ハム" was a weird name for a baseball team until someone explained to me how things worked.

Yeah, in the US it's only the stadiums that are named after businesses. The teams haven't quite gotten there yet.

Can't wait for the 2011 world series between the Budweiser Yankees and the Coca Cola Giants...

Ohh, I never thought about it!
Yeah, come to think about it, MLB teams have "Area + Mascot(sorry, I can't think of a better way to call it)", like Tampa Bay Devil Rays.(Haha, don't ask me why I came up this team name), while most of the JPB teams have "Area +Sponcer(owner company) + Mascot".

the Budweiser Yankees and the Coca Cola Giants...
LMAO!! xD

I watched American baseball once but i couldn't get the game it is very simerler to a game i played at school called rounders

I'v heard the game is exstremly populer in Japan ^^

I'v never seen Japanese baseball is there any diffrence

Last edited:
The difference between American baseball and Japanese baseball is mostly in the stands. Well, it seems that the Japanese are fond of having dirt infields, whereas in the US they're invariably either grass or artificial turf.

Aside from that, judging from the college game that I went to, the Japanese have bands and cheerleaders at the games, and the cheerleaders are continuously leading cheers throughout the course of the game, almost to the point that you can't keep up with the action. Before the game the cheerleaders also performed, and there was some sort of ceremony where each school played its school song, and some guy wearing traditional Japanese garb yelled some stuff (I really don't know what that was about, and I couldn't make out anything he was saying).

In the US, there are never cheerleaders or bands at games. The only music you'll hear is the national anthem(s), and people are mostly quiet unless something exciting happens.

Again, since I've only been to one college game in Japan, so things may be different in the pro leagues (well, I'm sure they don't have a school song to play beforehand).

Last edited:
Again, since I've only been to one college game in Japan, so things may be different in the pro leagues (well, I'm sure they don't have a school song to play beforehand).
In Japan, it's not just college games that have bands/cheerleaders playing school song, high school games also do. And even Pro, too. (Each team has a team song, like Hanshin Tigers have Rokkou Oroshi, Giants have Moeyo Toukon(or something like that).

Yes, I've been told too that the one of the biggest difference between Japanese baseball and American baseball is how those audience watch the game. It's all crazy...but I like it personally. I like balloons, too. (You can watch many videos on Youtube.)

Miki78, yeah I've heard of the name "rounders" and that it's similar, but never seen one. I believe it's one of the British sports...(but I could be wrong)
Okay, "Let's Google" time~~~! xD

By the way, Japan didn't play good for the MLB vs NPB All Stars games, but Nichi-hamu played pretty good on their Asia Series game against SAMSUNG.
http://asia.npb.or.jp/en/index.html

I just realized that I was wrong about the only music being the national anthem(s). There's also annoying organ music and pop music played during breaks.

Also, another thing that surprised me: in America the break is between the top and bottom of the seventh inning (the seventh inning stretch), but in Japan it's at the half-way point, between the top and bottom of the fifth (assuming the game doesn't go into extra-innings, like the one I was at. It went 20). And we normally don't blow up balloons and let them fly at any point in the game in the States.

Hmm, about the seventh inning stretch, I believe it's the same in Japan, too. We call it "Lucky Seven".
Oh, but I think Giants (and perhaps some other teams) have it at both 5th and 7th innings.

And balloons, it's only allowed in Koushien, Hiroshima stadium and Jingu stadium(among the Central league's home stadiums).
It's a lot of fun for us fans, but not for stadium staff...picking up those scattered around on the field interupts the game a bit. ^^;

Yeah, I thought about that when we let them go. But the cheerleaders went around picking up ours. Those cheerleaders probably work harder than the players do!

I'm not into yakyuu at all so I hardly know the players' names. Two weeks ago, I went to the ANA hotel in Kanayama, Nagoya with my boyfriend and I happened to be in the same elevator as a Nippon Hamu plalyer. I thought of asking for his autograph but didn't, cus I thought it's rude to, cus I didn't even know who he was. He was wearing the Nichihamu uniform and his uniform number was 27 so now I know who he was. He was Ejiri, a pitcher.

Man! He was tall!

Wow, Kyoko chan, you're so lucky!!
I don't know him either (LOL) but he looks hot! xD
My goodness he's 185cm... Yeah...pretty tall for a Japanese.

@ricecake
Right, Ichiro must be the most well-known player in MLB... oh and Hideki Matsui, too. I didn't like Ichiro much before but since the WBC, I changed my opinion about him. He's blunt but does love baseball and he sure is talented.

I think 185 is tall for anybody. That's about 6'.

I just heard from the girlfriend that 松坂大輔 (Daisuke Matsuzaka) has been scouted by some Major League teams, and they're fighting it out for him right now. Looks like there's going to be another big name Japanese player in the US.

Back
Top Bottom