What's new

Japanese Women

Silverbackman

先輩
5 Mar 2005
I'm a little curious on how Japanese women act. Japan is one of the only developed Non-Western country, but still hold true to their Japanese culture.

How do the women in Japan act? Do they act like a typical western woman (strongminded/stubborn, feminist, ect.) or do they act like traditional woman not living in the Western World (nice/caring, submissive, ect.)?

Do Japanese women in GENERAL are career driven like a western girl or more into staying in the home and taking care of the kids like a traditional woman.

Just curious, no offense to anyone women in any way. I personally think both western ad traditional women have their advantages and disadvantages on how they act in society, but what I am curious about is to see how they act in a modern traditional world like Japan. Japan is a mixture of western and traditional culture, so I wonder how their women act too.

Hey brother, you can't generalize, man.

Just like there are all types of American women, there are all types of Japanese women -- ones you mentioned, as well as others. There may be qualities that they have that are very similar to Western women and there might be big differences, either positive or negative. But why the big surprise? There are differences and similarities between American women, South American women and European women.

Most of the opinions of others are biased and stereotyped anyway. Best way to find out is to go there and find out for yourself.

dude, that's like trying to generalize american women. i won't you to try to give a general description on american women's behavior- in a concise manner. try not to take up 10 pages.

ashuri2 said:
dude, that's like trying to generalize american women. i won't you to try to give a general description on american women's behavior- in a concise manner. try not to take up 10 pages.

Is that for me? Or for Silver Back Man?

Silverbackman said:
I'm a little curious on how Japanese women act. Japan is one of the only developed Non-Western country, but still hold true to their Japanese culture.

How do the women in Japan act? Do they act like a typical western woman (strongminded/stubborn, feminist, ect.) or do they act like traditional woman not living in the Western World (nice/caring, submissive, ect.)?

Do Japanese women in GENERAL are career driven like a western girl or more into staying in the home and taking care of the kids like a traditional woman.

Just curious, no offense to anyone women in any way. I personally think both western ad traditional women have their advantages and disadvantages on how they act in society, but what I am curious about is to see how they act in a modern traditional world like Japan. Japan is a mixture of western and traditional culture, so I wonder how their women act too.

Sorry man, but there's no answer to that one. Why might you ask? Because you can't generalize women or men for that matter just by particular stereotypes. Everybody is different so not everybody will act the same way depending on what your biased or generalized view might be on the matter. Like Leroy_Brown said, you need to go to Japan to see for yourself.

Doc

Leroy_Brown said:
Hey brother, you can't generalize, man.

Just like there are all types of American women, there are all types of Japanese women -- ones you mentioned, as well as others. There may be qualities that they have that are very similar to Western women and there might be big differences, either positive or negative. But why the big surprise? There are differences and similarities between American women, South American women and European women.

Most of the opinions of others are biased and stereotyped anyway. Best way to find out is to go there and find out for yourself.

Sorry if it seems like I am generalizing. What I mean is how are Japanese women on average. I know there are different people in different cultures but I curious to know how they are general.

There is actually quite a difference between western women of US, Canada, Australia, and West Europe compared to traditional women of South America, East Europe, and Asia. Western women are usally surrouned by feminism and what not and are more career driven while traditional women are usally more home oriented. Again there are different people in different cultures, I just want to know what side Japanese women are closer to them on average.

Why? Thats the only response I can think of right now.
Are you studying the Japanese female psyche?
Just seems like another odd question this forum attracts.

This question might be better sub-divided into areas: how are Japanese women in Tokyo? in Osaka? in Fukuoka? in rural areas? etc. And also (and especially) by age group.

Even then, there's so much variation.

Last edited:
Silverbackman said:
What I mean is how are Japanese women on average. I know there are different people in different cultures but I curious to know how they are general.
:eek:

I'd say, in general, most Japanese women have black hair. Although some of them dye their hair. They often wear shoes when they're walking out in public and take them off when they're indoors. Most of them can use chopsticks to eat food. That's all I can think of. ☝

Silverbackman said:
haha HAHA - so now, ALL western women are feminine and stubborn? And ALL japanese women are.. um.. nice and caring? Seems you've been hearing too many predjudices and generalizations. There are soo many variations, wether it comes to western women or japanese. It's like with the men, I guess. Ever single person has his or her own psyche and character - I think there can be no answer to your question...

isayhello said:
haha HAHA - so now, ALL western women are feminine and stubborn? And ALL japanese women are.. um.. nice and caring? Seems you've been hearing too many predjudices and generalizations. There are soo many variations, wether it comes to western women or japanese. It's like with the men, I guess. Ever single person has his or her own psyche and character - I think there can be no answer to your question...

Yes not all women from the west fit into the category and not all women from the east fit into their category as well. Again, I am saying on average.

There is quite a bit of difference in general from western women and traditional women. Western women are surrounded by feminism, it is in thier everyday lives. Now that does not mean all women in the west will grow up to be that exact way and like you said there are variation. Again, I mean on average.

cicatriz esp said:
This question might be better sub-divided into areas: how are Japanese women in Tokyo? in Osaka? in Fukuoka? in rural areas? etc. And also (and especially) by age group.

Even then, there's so much variation.

Yea, that might work better if we go by area.

Silverbackman said:
Yes not all women from the west fit into the category and not all women from the east fit into their category as well. Again, I am saying on average.

Sorry dude, there's just no salvaging it. It's just such a flawed question. Some Japanese women want to be housewives, but more and more these days, Japanese women are deciding that they want to be professionals (same as in the U.S.). We've had lots of discussions about the different beliefs between Western and Japanese people. For example, we've talked about how the Japanese motivation for marriage often differs from the Western motivation (in general).

Click on this....
Radical difference between East and West regarding relationships and marriage

i think even if we go by area it would still be impossible to define an entire gender for tokyo for example.
I see where you are coming from (i think)...all my perceptions of japanese women are from the media...and that's usually far from the truth in any region or country. so i think i understand why you are asking.
of course, if media perceptions are true then...
all japanese women under 30 are hot and succesful.
all japanese women over 30 are fantastic, loyal wives.
all old japanese women are either wise or crazy.
and all japanese schoolgirls kill themselves if you put them on a train platform, or they kill each other if yo put them on an island.

and lets face it, without trying to sound sexist, does anybody know how to understand the female of the species in general? i've ben in a relationship for 3 and a half years and i'm buggered if i know!

and lets face it, without trying to sound sexist, does anybody know how to understand the female of the species in general?

:D

I utterly agree.
Perhaps we should start a thread for the sole purpose of exploring the psyche of the feminine pursuasion...

Holy mother of god do I agree...

the worst one is the one where they say one thing, mean another and then expect you to understand it... "no I'm serious, I don't want to go to a big fancy restaurant on my birthday... Anywhere is fine aslong as it's with you."

naturally you'd think she meant that, right?... nuh-uh.

That's a pretty famous one though, so you can catch this one next time on pure experience.. but this comes in so many shapes and forms...

Might sound stereotypical or sound like a cliché(spl?), but it's just so real.. It really pisses me off. that and the answer "I dunno, anywhere is fine with me" every god damn time you ask a girl where she wants to go to grab a bite or something.

I'm dead serious. I have yet to meet a girl that doesn't have that cryptic mind that you're supposed to be able to read and that one standard answer every time.

i'll stop ranting now... those things just piss me off beyond words.

As For Me.......

Yellow Emperor said:
So some of you are into Japanese culture/society just for the girls, huh?

I'm interested in any woman with long black hair, regardless of birthplace or culture!

Frank

:p 😊

TwistedMac said:
Holy mother of god do I agree...

the worst one is the one where they say one thing, mean another and then expect you to understand it... "no I'm serious, I don't want to go to a big fancy restaurant on my birthday... Anywhere is fine aslong as it's with you."

naturally you'd think she meant that, right?... nuh-uh.

That's a pretty famous one though, so you can catch this one next time on pure experience.. but this comes in so many shapes and forms...

Might sound stereotypical or sound like a cliché(spl?), but it's just so real.. It really pisses me off. that and the answer "I dunno, anywhere is fine with me" every god damn time you ask a girl where she wants to go to grab a bite or something.

I'm dead serious. I have yet to meet a girl that doesn't have that cryptic mind that you're supposed to be able to read and that one standard answer every time.

i'll stop ranting now... those things just piss me off beyond words.

:D it sound like you are going out with my girlfriend...keep her, please!!!
no seriosuly, i totally know where you are coming from! "I dunno" seems to be universal answer for everything!!!
and why do they always ask you what you want? or want to do? MAKE A DECISION FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!...do they we will be offended if they do?
this may make me sound like a woman hater or just a pig in general...but i love ladies (not for that reason) and i get on well with most women and over time, some of closest friends have been female...but i still don't get them!!!

Well men can be just as cryptic as well. You know reading this thread about trying to get the generalization of women reminds me of all those stupid feminie magazines trying to generalize all men. I mean women actually think they got men completely down to a science!:D I remember reading a Cosmopolition article one time reguarding how all men feel they must be dominant in a relationship, are always more concerned about their male ego than the female ego, and if not are really just gay.:D I couldn't stop laughing at that!:D There are a lot of men who are not gay, who do not fit into Cosmo's stereotype, and are just as mysterious as women. The same argument could be said about those stupid Men's Health magazines that think they have women figured out down to a science. :eek:

You can't generalize an entire sex in a particular demographic. I'm sorry you just can't do that. Sure the media likes to and so does the government from time to time, but it just doesn't work. Men are just as complex as women, and vice versa. We are all individual in our own right, and more and more people are starting to realize that. With that being said, Japanese women are just as varied to that of any other woman from any other country or region. Sorry Silver, but you just can't save face with this topic. There's no DEFINITE answer.

Doc:smoke:😄

Last edited:
Silverbackman said:

I agree with RockLee that the tendancy is more domestic and nonconfrontational, not really shy since they're really quite sociable -- but most men have a more 'feminine' demeanor than Westerners as well....

I believe around 40% of Japanese women are considered to be participating in their workforce, compared to around 60% of American women if that helps with your question at all.

Back
Top Bottom