What's new

Japanese volleyball player names

sitenoise

Registered
29 May 2019
Greetings

I've become a very big fan of Japan women's indoor volleyball, and there is very little coverage of it in English. I'm trying to improve that situation by updating Wikipedia articles etc., and there is a website database I'm working on: Volleybox.

I'm working on 筑波大 (Tsukuba Daigaku) players and can't get even close with a few of the names:
  • 高間 来瞳 I don't think "High-be Pupil" is right LOL. Maybe something close to "Takama Kurumi" "Hitomi Takama" "Takamitsu Kurumi" "Hitomi Takamitsu"
  • 甲萌香 "KinoeMoeKaoru", nah. I settled on "Kia Moka" but feel very little confidence in that choice
  • 山城 愛心 "Fortress Love" nope. I do recognize the 山 as 'yama' (I think). Maybe "Ai Yama ...something" although I looked to match 愛心 to Ai Kurogo 黒後 愛 and it's a character short. Maybe "Aishin"?
I hope this is okay to ask for help here. I read in the rules you expect study or academically related help. I've tried every translation system I could find, and you see my results.

The Japanese National team usually provides romanized names (I believe that's the term) but as I've worked my way into college and high school players in an effort to show where the NT players come from, not so much. The National teams put romanized names on their jerseys so when I watch matches I can at least get the family names of players who get court time. University and H.S players don't do that. It's very difficult to even find a team roster anywhere. I found the 筑波大 roster here

Thanks for any help.

Takama Kurumi
Ko Moeka
Yamashiro Ami

The only one I have high confidence in is the last one. The top two I am guessing based on searching around the web.

Takama Kurumi
Ko Moeka
Yamashiro Ami

The only one I have high confidence in is the last one. The top two I am guessing based on searching around the web.
Thank you. I realize names are difficult, not like translating a sentence that has a context and an intention. Thanks for extra effort.

I was thinking "Aimi" for the third one because it satisfied the 愛 "Ai" part but it's nothing like Kawashima Aimi 川島 亜依美 .
Definitely like Ko Moeka more than Kia Moka.
Family names can be a grab bag but they seem to have a pattern, given names ... I usually hope for something I've heard before. "Kurumi" is a nice name but I've never seen it before.

I'm going with your suggestions. Thanks again!

The reason why the reading of given names is difficult is that you can give any reading to the kanji legally. There are countless uncommon reading names, such like なっくる Nakkuru for 拳, which is from the English word "knuckle".

Back
Top Bottom