What's new

Japanese Verb Conjugations

forgottenmems

Perfume Love
15 Nov 2011
Hi, I'm looking for a site which has practice exercises on how to conjugate Japanese verbs. I already know all the basic rules for conjugating verbs but I just forget them over and over without practicing. I have this app for Android and I believe it's called "Conjugations" it asks what form you want to practice and once you pick it (let's say ない form) it will give you a verb and it will have multiple choice answers of which one is correctly put into ない form. You pick the correct choice out of the four multiple choice answers. I found this really helpful, but I am looking for something like this in an iPod app version or a website. If I don't find one I guess I'll continue using the Android "Conjugations" app but my phone overheats easily so it's not physically comfortable to use this app lol. Any recommendations?

My two cents on this:
Multiple choice is bullshit because it allows you to guess; real life doesn't -- you either know how to conjugate something, or you don't.

You could go to Ultra Handy Japanese Verb Conjugator to get conjugations and then throw them into Anki, getting rid of the romaji in the process. It's tedious to build up a deck like that, but it works. I'm undecided whether it's better just to prompt for a conjugation (Q: "negative plain past of 行く?" A: 行かなかった) vs asking for a sentence translation (Q: "Did not go to the store." A: 「店に行かなかった。」)

Spaced repetition should theoretically be perfect for practicing conjugations as you will end up focusing on the ones you're weak at.

If you know how to do it then all you need in order to practice is already inside your own head.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if modern technical conveniences haven't actually had the effect of retarding effective Japanese learning. Too much "knowledge" is carried around in people's pants pockets instead of between their ears.

Thanks for your responses. I think I just going to keep using the app I've been using for android because I see it working. I did ta form last night and then later on wrote a journal entry on Lang 8. I actually could conjugate 思う to plain past (思った) all by myself! It didn't come up as a word in the app so I know it was me internalizing the rules rather than just memorizing a verb conjugation :) I think every has their own style for learning and also some concepts are bigger hurdles than they are for the next person. I will prevail!

Just google different forms of verbs (or in my case how much ways can a verb transform into), differences between godan and ichidan verbs, how to conjugate both in base ta and base te, informal and formal and stuff like this.

You don't need an app or a software program, just search different aspects of Japanese and piece it all together (easier said then done).

But if you do have enough money, they do help a lot along with books, but it's not a need.

Back
Top Bottom