What's new

Japanese translation to english. HELP

AstaMedis

後輩
28 May 2015
Hello, I am PhD student and really need help with Japanese article. Would somebody help me to translate the attached tables? Thank you!! Asta

Attachments

• 20150513_113520.jpg
    20150513_113520.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 165
Column headers:
内科 - internal treatment
外科 - external treatment
小児科 - pediatrics
精神科 - psychiatry
産婦科 - gynaecology
眠科 - sleep science ophthalmology
耳鼻科 - otolaryngology (ear/nose treatment)
皮泌科 - didn't find a dictionary entry, but the individual characters mean "skin secretion science"

Row headers:
結核 - tuberculosis
伝染病 - contagious disease
悪性新生物 - malignant growth
消化器疾患 - digestive organ disease
肝疾患 - liver disease
胃潰瘍 - stomach ulcer
糖尿病 - sugar diabetes
呼吸器疾患 - respiratory organ disease
肺炎 - pneumonia
心疾患 - heart disease
高血圧 - high blood pressure
脳卒中 - cerebral haemorrhage
腎炎 - kidney inflammation
事故 - accident
自殺 - suicide
老哀 - death (?) by old age
その他 - others
不明 - unknown
計 - total

This has made me really curious about what the numbers mean...

Last edited:
Great job!
Just one thing - 眠科 should read 眼科 ophthalmology. ;-)
Gynaecology is 産婦人科(産科+婦人科), I guess it was shortened 産婦科 as there is not enough space for four letters.

The row headers seems to be causes of death, so your understanding for 老衰 is correct.

this is fantastic! Thank you so much!
Would you be so kind to have a look at the other table, it is just 4 words and it seems to be different professions...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 139
undrentide: Thanks for the correction. It's amazing how far one can get with radical search and a dictionary :p

診...系別死因別訂正死亡率 - revised death rates by death cause and medical examination ... group
内科系 - Those performing internal treatment
外科系 - Those performing external treatment
全科 - Performing all (general practitioner)
その他 - Others

Thank you! this is something I could not do with google translator on my own ;) I was just wondering, could 外科系 - Those performing external treatment also mean surgery?

No. After all, surgery is internal by definition, isn't it? And even 内科 is defined as internal treatment by medicine, not surgery.

Surgery would be 手術 ("hand technique" *shudder*).

Yeah, actually, 外科 means "surgery / surgical department".
"Oncologist" is 腫瘍医.

皮泌科 - didn't find a dictionary entry, but the individual characters mean "skin secretion science"
皮泌科 means 皮膚科と泌尿器科 "dermatology and urinology (department)".

診...系別死因別訂正死亡率
診療系別死因別訂正死亡率

外科系 is, in fact, surgery (as a hospital department). 手術 is surgery (as a procedure).

At PhD level you should know better than to use Google Translate. There is an online medical directory here: 医歯薬英語辞書 (MEDO)

I have quit a lot of foreign language articles, not just Japanese. And unfortunately, I speak just two languages.. So if you have head on your shoulders and do not blindly follow everything what google translator says to you, it can be very helpful.

Learned something new then. Is there a specific reason for surgery "外科" being written with 外 - even though it's about as invasive as you can get?

東洋医学では14世紀には内科と外科の分化が確認されるが、あくまで患部箇所の違いに基づくもので、本格的な分化は南蛮医学の伝来に触発されて以後のことになる。
外科学 - Wikipedia

では内科と外科の由来ってご存知でしょうか。身体の内部を扱うから内科、身体の外を扱うから外科という説もありますが、実は別の説があるのです。
そもそも外科と内科という言葉が生まれたのは江戸時代です。当時の医術は手術を行わない漢方薬を使った東洋医学というものが主流でしたが、オランダから西洋医術が入ってきたことで外科手術が出来るようになったと言われています。
当時は東洋医学を主に扱う医者の事を漢方医と呼び、オランダ医術を扱う医者を蘭方医と呼んでいました。今では考えられませんが、当時の漢方医たちは「人の身体を切るような手法は医学ではない。医学の外にあるもの」と蘭方医のことを酷評していたそうです。
外科医は医学の外。これが外科と呼ぶようになった言われなのです。
内科と外科の名前の由来は?

The sites say that the term 外科 existed in the 14 century, but was used as "surgery" in Edo period. 外 is used as the antonym of 内, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom