What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japanese' Top 10 books of the 20th century

Kalashnikov

後輩
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've heard that in 1996, fifty-eight leading Japanese intellectuals in politics, government bureaucracy, business, and culture were asked to nominate the 10 best books, fiction or non-fiction, published either before or after the 2nd WW.

Among them are: (with the rank)

1. Saka no ue no kumo (Shiba Ryotaro)
2. Zen no kenkyu (Nishida Kitaro)
3. Wagahai wa neko de aru (Natsume Soseki)
4. Bunmei no seitai sikan (Umesao Tadao)
5. Fudo (Watsuji Tetsujo)
6. Sasameyuki (Tanizaki Junichiro)
7. Amae no kozo (Doi Takeo)
8. Tate shakai no ningen kankei (Nakane Chie)

Do anyone have further information related to this vote? And the whole 10 books (I have no info about the 9th and the 10th)?
Thanks in advance for your help!

pipokun

先輩
Reaction score
ナスi窶拵窶氾俄?伉セヒ弸窶堙娯?佚」窶「\ツ催ャ窶堙ー窶堙?窶堙??堙俄?啌窶扼ナ?テ披?堙俄?堙ュ窶堋ス窶堙≫?堙??「テコ窶倪?披?堋キ窶堙ゥ窶嗄窶喩窶嗚窶堙姑湛ニ馳ニ歎ニ槌槌停?ケニ檀ニ停?ーニ筑
ツ「ツ催「窶堙個湘」窶堙娯?ー_ツ」窶堙固ステ・窶堙按出窶ー窶ーナステ停?堋ェナ塚??堙懌?堙ィツ、ナステ・窶禿ー窶堙個秋ナスRナ短窶凖ュ窶堙ー窶捐窶妊窶堙娯?怒窶禿倪?ーテォツ弘窶堋ウ窶堙ア
窶堙??「窶「窶敘?ツー窶堋ウ窶堙ア窶堋ェ窶ー窶ー窶堋カ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堙俄?堙遺?堙ィ窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋スツ。窶「テコ窶倪?披?堙債催??藩??扼窶堙個秋窶堋ゥ窶堙ァナスn窶堙懌?堙ィツ、窶牢窶啀窶啌窶ーテアツ、
窶啌窶扼窶堙俄?堙ュ窶堋ス窶堙ゥ窶能窶凖ィ窶堙??堋キツ。
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/2007/01/18/k20070118000144.html
NHK announced that they were going to shoot a long-lasting TV drama, 'Saka no ue no kumo', 13 stories in total for 3 years.
The program will start from the autumn in 2009.
Hiroshi Abe and Masahiro Motoki will play the main characters, Akiyama bros.

Kakushi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I love these books:
Wagahai wa neko de aru (Natsume Souseki)
Akutagawa (all) :) My best is the Kappa
Fukazawa Hichirou (all)
Abe Koubou (all)

Big Wave

後輩
Reaction score
I don't know about what these books. And I would like to have some informations about them. Please give me a few general ideas of these 10 nominate works.

pipokun

先輩
Reaction score
Saka no ue no kumo (Shiba Ryotaro)
Shiba wrote tons of histrical samurai novels, and this novel is mainly about the era in the Russo-Japan war.
One of his perspectives on the history, esp. the mondern one is that Japan went up the right course (slope) before the Russo-Japan to catch up the west.
What he found in the cloud over after the Japanese went up the slope and what people saw while they went up the slope since the Edo era is a main theme Shiba tried to follow, I think.

http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/kidsold/hanashi/r_s_txt.html
Shiba wrote this nice essay for a textbook before. It includes his basic thought. The English translation by Prof. Keene is available, but I highly recommend you should tranlate it into your language when you study Japanese.

I like sakano ue no kumo, but my favorite story is about a merchaint and ship owner who solved a conflict between Russia and Japan in the early 19 century. Nanohana no Oki.

drj0402

先輩
Reaction score
7. Amae no kozo (Doi Takeo)

Doi, Takeo (1981). The Anatomy of Dependence: The Key Analysis of Japanese Behavior, English trans. John Bester, 2nd, Tokyo: Kodansha International.

Amae is a word he fashioned from the verb Amaeru and it describes the behavior of a "person attempting to induce an authority figure, such as a parent, spouse, teacher or boss, to take care of him."

Wikipedia has a page that explains it in more detail. Just search for the word "amae."

pipokun

先輩
Reaction score
ツ「ニ単ツーニ耽ニ辰ツ渉ャツ静?ツ」窶堋ェニ遅ニ湛ニ暖窶啌窶愿?静ィツ、窶唹窶啖窶扼窶「ツカナ竹窶「窶昶?禿・
ツ 窶啣窶唹窶唹窶啖窶扼窶堙個鞘?伉静絶?堙娯?扼ナ?テ犯遅ニ湛ニ暖ニ短ニ停?ーツーツ(ニ暖ツーニ地ニ停?懌?卍イ窶堙猟)窶堋ェ窶售窶愿コ窶敖ュ窶「\窶堋ウ窶堙ェツ、ツ鞘?版スq窶吮??ツ坂?堋青カ窶堙架?、窶愿??堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥツ「ニ単ツーニ耽ニ辰ツ渉ャツ静?ツ」窶堋ェ窶「ツカナ竹窶「窶昶?禿・窶堙姑遅ニ湛ニ暖窶啌窶堙ー窶愿?静ィツ、ニ遅ニ湛ニ暖窶啀窶唹窶堙??堙坂?啜ツ催ャ窶堋ェニ停?ーニ停?愴誰ニ辰ニ停?懌?堋オ窶堋スツ。
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/culture/news/20071204it09.htm

The 1-2-3 finish of Keitai novel.
The 2007 best-seller novel goes to a Keitai novel. Koizora (Love Sky) by Mika originally writing it through moble phones. So far, Koizora sold 2 millions this year.
5 keitai love romances are ranked in the top 10.

Mika's website (Koizora is available for free there)
http://ip.tosp.co.jp/i.asp?I=hidamari_book
It takes another century for me to read her works, but I really want to ask Haruki Murakami what he thinks about it, for he is eager to experiment new styles. (I do not think he has always succeeded.)

Chi65

後輩
Reaction score

hanachan

先輩
Reaction score
By the way, I wonder, why they don't mention Kobo Abe for example, amongst others, which would be quite a list.

I like Kobo Abe. Maybe European people remember some films based on his novels, for example "Woman in the Dunes" ツ債サ窶堙個鞘? ... very impressive.
Today not so many people read Kobo's because his works seem to be difficult. It's a misunderstanding.
:)

Chi65

後輩
Reaction score
I like Kobo Abe. Maybe European people remember some films based on his novels, for example "Woman in the Dunes" ツ債サ窶堙個鞘? ... very impressive.
Today not so many people read Kobo's because his works seem to be difficult. It's a misunderstanding.
:)

Yes, thanks, I have seen this film a few times(!), plus read the book.
Both I did not find difficult at all, but very good!
And I have many friends, who think alike.

I am not sure, if I have read his "Face of Another" though, but its very likely, because I get some images back right now (must have been some time ago, sorry), since we have several very big libraries with japanese writers here and I use them a lot.

Top Bottom