What's new

Japanese time that doesn't appear in textbooks

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
In my japanese textbook, it doesn't list the minutes like this, and how will I know what each minute is? They alternate between hun, pun, and ippun. What gives?
Also, this never appeared in my workbook, for minutes. It alternaties between ippun, hun, and ppun puun. What gives?

ichi-zi i-ppun 31 sanju-i-ppun
2 ni-zi ni-hun 32 sanju-ni-hun
3 san-zi san-pun 33 sanju-san-pun
4 yo-zi yon-pun 34 sanju-yon-pun
5 go-zi go-hun 35 sanju-go-hun
6 roku-zi ro-ppun 36 sanju-ro-ppun
7 shichi-zi nana-hun 37 sanju-nana-hun
8 hachi-zi ha-ppun 38 sanju-ha-ppun
9 ku-zi kyu-hun 39 sanju-kyu-hun
10 ju-zi ju-ppun 40 yonju-ppun
11 ju-ichi-zi ju-i-ppun 41 yonju-i-ppun
12 ju-ni-zi ju-ni-hun 42 yonju-ni-hun
13 ju-san-zi ju-san-pun 43 yonju-san-pun
14 ju-yo-zi ju-yon-pun 44 yoju-yon-pun
15 ju-go-zi ju-go-hun 45 yonju-go-hun
16 ju-roku-zi ju-ro-ppun 46 yonju-ro-ppun
17 ju-shichi-zi ju-shichi-hun 47 yonju-shichhi-hun
18 ju-hachi-zi ju-ha-ppun 48 yonju-ha-ppun
19 ju-ku-zi ju-kyu-hun 49 yonju-kyu-hun
20 niju-zi niju-ppun 50 goju-ppun
21 niju-ichi-zi niju-ichi-hun 51 goju-i-ppun
22 niju-ni-zi niju-ni-hun 52 goju-ni-hun
23 niju-san-zi niju-san-pun 53 goju-san-pun
24 niju-yo-zi niju-yon-pun 54 goju-yon-pun
25 niju-go-hun 55 goju-go-hun
26 niju-ro-ppun 56 goju-ro-ppun
27 niju-shichi-hun 57 goju-shichi-hun
28 niju-ha-ppun 58 goju-happun
29 niju-kyu-hun 59 goju-kyu-hun
30 sanju-ppun

Example Sentences(れいぶん)
今 何時 ですか?
[いま なんじ ですか?]
(Ima Nanzi Desuka?) What time is it now?
イギリスは 今 何時 ですか?
[いぎりすは いま なんじ ですか?]
(Igirisu-ha Ima Nanzi Desuka?) What time is it in England now?
8時 です。
[はちじ です。]
(Hachizi Desu.) It's 8 o'clock.
10時 10分 です。
[じゅうじ じゅっぷん です。]
(Ju-zi Ju-ppun Desu.) It's 10:10.
午前 3時 45分 です。
[ごぜん さんじ よんじゅうごふん です。]
(Gozen San-zi Yonju-Go-hun Desu.) It's 3:45 am.
午後 1時 30分 です。
[ごご いちじ さんじゅっぷん です。]
(Gogo Ichi-zi San-ju-ppun Desu.) It's 1:30 pm.

Sound changes with counting. it happens no matter what you are counting. the pp is easy to spot because its a lot easier to say, but that'll come with practice don't worry about it yet. The numbers you need to watch for the most are 3, 6 and 8. Also remember ふ、ぶ、ぷ are the same.

However, with minutes you don't need to learn all of these. If you know 5 minutes and 10 minutes you'll be fine. Try to think the last time you said 7 minutes in English!

Edit:
I'm a bit confused, why are you complaining about your textbook not expalining minutes when you've writen an explaination just above? What exactly is your question, or are you just trying to complain about how hard japanese is?

Additionally, why do people use such stupid romaji? Its easier to learn hiragana than read that.

Yeah, the book never says it this way.
How would I ask for directions for a train? Unfortunately, it is very complicated:
Though I would like to buy the ticket from this station to B station, I don't understand how to buy the ticket. Would you help me out to buy the ticket? ここの駅からB駅への切符を買いたいのですが、どのようにしてその切符を買えばいいのかが分かりません。その切符を買うのを手伝ってくれませんか?
(Kokono ekikara B-eki heno kippu wo kaitai nodesuga, donoyounishite sono kippu wo kaebaiinoka ga wakarimasen. Sono kippu wo kauno wo tetsudatte kuremasenka?)
😌

わたしのPSPがあそぶの。

I'm playing my PSP..

I don't understand how to buy the ticket. (Wakarimasen Is "I don't understand." the part that I don't know "to buy the ticket"

donoyounishite sono kippu wo kaebaiinoka ga wakarimasen.

Could you explain this, "I don't know how to buy the ticket." so I can say it effectily in japan?

Sono is "that", what does Donoyounishite mean? (To buy that...)?, since its the ~te form.

If you are talking to an ekiin (station personnel) and not your mother or girlfriend or an American who most likely doesn`t know any better, the most natural course is going to be asking for help directly.

Kippu no kaikata wo oshiete kudasai.

Yes, you should probably say what Elizabeth2 recommends saying, "Kippu no kaikata o oshiete kudasai".

It's written in kanji and kana as 「切符の買い方を教えてください。」 and it literally means "Please tell me (lit. teach me) how to buy a ticket."

Elizabeth2 said:
If you are talking to an ekiin (station personnel) and not your mother or girlfriend or an American who most likely doesn`t know any better, the most natural course is going to be asking for help directly.

Oh, that's alot easier. Why is your name Elizabeth2 now?

😊

Why is "kippu" possessive? Does it mean ,literally "TIckets?"

GoldCoinLover said:
ここの駅からB駅への切符を買いたいのですが、
どのようにしてその切符を買えばいいのかが分かりません。
その切符を買うのを手伝ってくれませんか?
このsentenceは私には難しい。😅

Nicky said:
このsentenceは私には難しい。😌
「どのようにして」は「どうやって」のようにhowの意味があります。

Last edited:
KrazyKat said:
「どのようにして」は「どうやって」のようにhowの意味があります。
ああ、ありがとう。分かります。

Last edited:
Nicky said:
分かりました。あのう、「買えばいい 」はどういう意味ですか?
どのようにして 買えば いい ですか?
How should I buy it? What way of buying it would be good?

Ooooooh. I still don't know that form yet. I guess I'll call it the "ba" form. It wasn't in my textbook.

Nicky said:
Ooooooh. I still don't know that form yet. I guess I'll call it the "ba" form. It wasn't in my textbook.

Oh, right. ba form is an 'if' form. It kind of overlaps with tara, but while tara is closer to 'when' (re/e)ba is closer to 'if'

Glenn said:
Was?

Our little butterfly never lights on the same twig for long, so it's safe to say it is well out of his mind and the use of "was" appropriate.

From what I have learnt about minutes all you need to know is 1 to 10
Ip pun
Ni fun
San pun
Yop pun
Gi fun
Rop pun
Nana fun
Hap pun
Kyu fun
Jup pun
After that the last number of the digit follow the same rule as the above numbers eg: 11 = Juu ip pun, 23 = ni juu san fun
It seem simple enough to me. Or am I missing something?

KrazyKat said:
どのようにして 買えば いい ですか?
How should I buy it? What way of buying it would be good?
Kaeba is OK, but I think "kattara yoi deshouka" is better and smarter in this case. If in doubt, the ttara form is more general, particularly in conjunction with an expression as polite as dono you ni shite. Now if you're using "Doyatte" that might be a different story....:p

Mycernius said:
From what I have learnt about minutes all you need to know is 1 to 10
Ip pun
Ni fun
San pun
Yop pun
Gi fun
Rop pun
Nana fun
Hap pun
Kyu fun
Jup pun
After that the last number of the digit follow the same rule as the above numbers eg: 11 = Juu ip pun, 23 = ni juu san fun
It seem simple enough to me. Or am I missing something?

Yes, I know how to count to 10, but the "fun" "pun" 'ippun' marks and when to use them confuse me. I just have to memroize them.

Ip pun
Ni fun
San pun
Yop pun
Gi fun
Rop pun
Nana fun
Hap pun
Kyu fun
Jup pun

Back
Top Bottom