What's new

Japanese Television in America

Ishiguro San

後輩
4 Jul 2003
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there is a japanese channel here in America. A friend of mine said they get japanese television in California, but what about the other states? I've got Direct TV and about the only we get is NHK Japanese News. It's pretty cool. I just wish I could get japanese programming. Anybody know of anything?

I get TV Japan via Adelphia digital cable, and we got it through Dish Network before we had that. I don't know much about Direct TV. Which channel does your NHK news come on? International Channel?

Probably it's on some pay channel you have to subscribe to in order to watch it.
It's like that over here - we can get NHK News on FreeTV, but the Japanese programming is encoded and you need to subscribe to it to be able to watch it.

This is not a Japanese channel, but a Japanese program, "Takeshi's Castle," has been showing up on cable. Have you seen this? It's hilarious! Japanese people doing strange stunts and running through courses, comically dubbed into English.

Brooker said:
This is not a Japanese channel, but a Japanese program, "Takeshi's Castle," has been showing up on cable. Have you seen this? It's hilarious! Japanese people doing strange stunts and running through courses, comically dubbed into English.
Yes, I've seen it, it ran on DSF (Deutsches Sport Fernsehen) over here some time ago... sadly, they didn't find it neccessary to dub it or sub it, so it was all in Japanese, only between the games a commentator would say a few words. So, I understood next to nothing of it :(

We have a multi cultural channel in Canada (BC), but it shows news and TV shows for Japanese, Chinese, Korean & East Indian mostly.

The funny thing about the English dub is that I don't think they made any attempt to translate what was originally said, they just made it all up using strange voices. They named the hosts something like Skip and Chad and often pretended that the contestants were students from an American university. :D

We used to have something called the "International Channel" in Seattle; every Sunday it would show about 2 hours of Japanese programming, starting with "Hey Hey Hey!", some miscellaneous drama, then an hour of anime (usually Dragon Ball Z etc.). But that was on digital cable...

Yeah, we get International Channel too, which is mainly Chinese or Indian shows now. I think they show a few Japanese shows at night, but that's it.

in the UK the bbc as "asian" radio and tv programming, however this only extends to indian & pakistani stuff... no chinese, korean, japanese asian stuff on there. Bit sad really, considering the massive population of asians in england who are not from india.

other than that, we don't have any japanese programming at all on sky, cable or freeview.

Japanese shows on the International Channel are Mon-Fri 9 a.m.-10 a.m.: Fujisankei News, and on Sun nights from 6-10:30 (I think) they play NHK News, Hテエdテエ 2001, whatever drama they're on (I forget which one it is now), Hey!Hey!Hey!, anime (currently Tenchi Muyテエ, dubbed :auch: ), and PopJapanTV. Other than that they'll show a Japanese movie every once and a while.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I've seen some good ones on that channel, too: Yテエjinbテエ and the Zatテエichi movies, to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom