What's new

Japanese tattoo kanji

can you provide context for your request? Is this a command, a request, or just a basic phrase that's part of a larger sentence structure? How polite are you trying to be?

Oh sorry its for a tattoo. I just wanted to know how that phrase is written in kanji. I wanna get it inked on my arm. I love japanese culture and the look of their writing and im from the ghetto and "get down or lay down" is a popular phrase where im from. Peace

I wonder if people in the 1960s got "Groovy" or "Far out" and how they feel now.

As it has a grammatical element to it, it cannot be expressed solely in kanji.
As it is an idiom, it does not translate well.
As a tattoo, I would not recommend it.

If you want to regret something later on, I'd go with 横になれ, which would be interpreted as an emphatic command to lie down (literally, "get sideways").

As it has a grammatical element to it, it cannot be expressed solely in kanji.
As it is an idiom, it does not translate well.
As a tattoo, I would not recommend it.

If you want to regret something later on, I'd go with 横になれ, which would be interpreted as an emphatic command to lie down (literally, "get sideways").
Lmao. Well thank you for your honesty. I tried translating it on google translate and it kept giving me different answers. But just out of curiosity, is there any other way you could roughly translate it to kanji or is it just not possible in japanese vocabulary? If its not too much trouble. Thank you anyway for giving me a definitive answer. Unlike that wise guy earlier in the thread. Peace

Wise guy eh??

Wiser than you by a jugful. Also correct, since you didn't answer any of the questions which were asked of you seeking clarification so that we can actually answer your question accurately.

Which of the following questions did you answer?

can you provide context for your request? Is this a command, a request, or just a basic phrase that's part of a larger sentence structure? How polite are you trying to be?

We have no idea in what context or with what meaning, intent, or emotion the phrases are used. We have to rely on you to tell us. A simple direct word-for-word translation would NOT mean the same thing in Japanese. Slang doesn't translate well like that.

So if you lack the ability to tell us in clear, simple, standard English what is meant by your phase then you're SOL for getting an accurate translation from us or anyone else.

Lmao. Well thank you for your honesty. I tried translating it on google translate and it kept giving me different answers.
I think you misunderstood my request for context, As Mike pointed out, I was actually asking specifically about what you were trying to say. The context about your request itself is only partially useful, as the slang you use locally where you are in Australia(?) may differ from my understanding as a Californian. I've heard and understand "get down" but I don't use "lay down" except in certain situations regarding music, and they are not interchangeable. So I still can't be sure that I 100% understand the phrase as you do even in English. This becomes more complicated if you want it to make sense in the slang local to the language you're translating into.

But just out of curiosity, is there any other way you could roughly translate it to kanji or is it just not possible in japanese vocabulary? If its not too much trouble. Thank you anyway for giving me a definitive answer. Unlike that wise guy earlier in the thread. Peace
A grammatic expression cannot be expressed solely in kanji in Japanese, no.

You could try Chinese, which would probably be something like 下来 (下: down 来: come), and to me sounds like an invitation. This is a completely different language than your request and I can't guarantee accuracy as I'm not familiar with Chinese slang. You could try picking up a slang dictionary as it may have something like what you're looking for and would be closer to a "professional" specialized translation than some randos on the net, but you may still be disappointed.

For those reasons, perhaps you're best off just getting the tattoo in English? I wouldn't consider this a good opportunity to combine your interest in Japanese culture with your desire to express a local colloquialism on your skin.
maxresdefault.jpg

How do you write the phrase "get down or lay down" in japanese kanji? And how do you say it in japanese speech
Based on a brief web search, it does not appear that this expression is common enough to have already received a standard Japanese translation. As for the meaning of the expression, which you have not yet clearly described in his thread, I assume that you are intending to use it with the meaning given in the urban dictionary. With that meaning in mind, I tried to come up with a Japanese equivalent that has the same approximate meaning, the same balance, and the same level of indirectness. Here is what I came up with:
加わるか、倒れるか
(pronunciation: ku-wa-wa-ru-ka, ta-o-re-ru-ka)
You can search for the words kuwawaru and taoreru in an online dictionary to confirm that they contain a meaning consistent with what you want. The 'ka' appended to each basically provides the "or" meaning.
I ran my expression by two native speakers of Japanese, and they were both OK with it, although I would suggest that before getting any tattoo in a language other than your own, you obtain your own native speaker check that you feel you can trust.
I welcome feedback from any native speaker of Japanese who happens to be reading this thread.

Based on a brief web search, it does not appear that this expression is common enough to have already received a standard Japanese translation. As for the meaning of the expression, which you have not yet clearly described in his thread, I assume that you are intending to use it with the meaning given in the urban dictionary. With that meaning in mind, I tried to come up with a Japanese equivalent that has the same approximate meaning, the same balance, and the same level of indirectness. Here is what I came up with:
加わるか、倒れるか
(pronunciation: ku-wa-wa-ru-ka, ta-o-re-ru-ka)
You can search for the words kuwawaru and taoreru in an online dictionary to confirm that they contain a meaning consistent with what you want. The 'ka' appended to each basically provides the "or" meaning.
I ran my expression by two native speakers of Japanese, and they were both OK with it, although I would suggest that before getting any tattoo in a language other than your own, you obtain your own native speaker check that you feel you can trust.
I welcome feedback from any native speaker of Japanese who happens to be reading this thread.
Thank you very much

Ah! "get down or lay down" is the entire phrase! I misread them as alternate versions of the same phrase; my attempts are literally just "get down" itself. This is why my request for more context (ie a description of what the phrase itself is trying to convey) is so vital to translations like this, and providing a definition/scenario where the phrase is used would have prevented this misunderstanding.

In that case, I'd say @joadbres did a fair rendering. If you end up with this ink, it would be nice to see an image of the final piece. I would recommend doing something more than just plain text; tattoos are art and should be treated as such

Ah! "get down or lay down" is the entire phrase! I misread them as alternate versions of the same phrase; my attempts are literally just "get down" itself. This is why my request for more context (ie a description of what the phrase itself is trying to convey) is so vital to translations like this, and providing a definition/scenario where the phrase is used would have prevented this misunderstanding.

In that case, I'd say @joadbres did a fair rendering. If you end up with this ink, it would be nice to see an image of the final piece. I would recommend doing something more than just plain text; tattoos are art and should be treated as such
Yes sorry for not clarifying that earlier. If i do end up getting it done i will upload a pic. Thanks again

Wise guy eh??
The sense of entitlement is comical. Would you be around 20 years of age by any chance?

You don't understand how translations work. If you think it's a simple "change one word to another", you're going to end up tattooing some gibberish into your skin. Which I've seen done before by the way. Relying on machine translators, instead of being nice to Mike, who is an expert, is insane.

I don't even know what that phrase means in English. How the hell do you think it will directly translate into Japanese?

You should paint the full picture of what the phrase means, and be nice to the experts, if you want to get a quality translation. Of which there will be many interpretations. Probably best to choose a meaning-based translation, to avoid the day when an actual Japanese looks at your tattoo with a "what?!" look on his face or laughs.

The sense of entitlement is comical. Would you be around 20 years of age by any chance?

You don't understand how translations work. If you think it's a simple "change one word to another", you're going to end up tattooing some gibberish into your skin. Which I've seen done before by the way. Relying on machine translators, instead of being nice to Mike, who is an expert, is insane.

I don't even know what that phrase means in English. How the hell do you think it will directly translate into Japanese?

You should paint the full picture of what the phrase means, and be nice to the experts, if you want to get a quality translation. Of which there will be many interpretations. Probably best to choose a meaning-based translation, to avoid the day when an actual Japanese looks at your tattoo with a "what?!" look on his face or laughs.
Thank you for your 2 cents

Japanese children are very creative, but they are placed in an educational system largely designed to stifle individuality and individual thought.

Would you like to get that as a tattoo? Is that why you are posting in this thread?

... or are you just clueless as to how a forum works?

Would you like to get that as a tattoo? Is that why you are posting in this thread?

... or are you just clueless as to how a forum works?
Tattoos are haram in Islam. So must be the latter :emoji_grinning:

Shame. Would've been a good tattoo.

Back
Top Bottom