What's new

Japanese Table Manners

8 Jul 2004
So...
I'm going to students house this Tuesday night for a sushi dinner.

Shes a 50 something year old rich women with a husband and a dog.

I've never been in a Japanese home (well a few apartments of young party types but that doesnt count).
Let alone of a rich well mannered family.

Eek.

So I'm a bit nervous about table manners and house manners.

Like I do have table manners, I know my basic pre and after meal sayings (but dont ask me to type them) and know how too conduct myself rather well (on account of having lots of dinners at a rich ex-gf's hosue back home). Its just even my formal meals here in Japan have been restaurant based and I know manners in a house are different too manners in a restaurant.

Geeze I'm typing a lot.

So um...
Any help, tips, hints etc?

You'll be fine. Just do the normal thing. Take your shoes off. If the wife doesn't sort them out for you, then make sure they're pointing towards the door, w/ the heels up against the step of the genkan (if there is one). Wait to be seated. Eat a lot. Drink a lot... even the stuff you don't like.

Sushi's a pretty easy one. I had my host father whip out the whole fish-head thing on me... wasn't ready for that one.

suki yaki loves sushi Vv

maaaaa sushi~ sushi !!!

Lucky you FHP 👍 !
I think the manners are quite the same. Throw in some good mmm~MM!'s and next thing you know they are inviting you for Suki Yaki !! :LOL: lol: :LOL:

A couple in their 50's and who invite foreign students to their house might not be so conservative, and you sound like you have some experiences having meals with Japanese people, so I think you should just enjoy the meal. You can give comments on the food you like or ask them questions about Japanese food, I am sure they will like friendly manners you can provide.

One thing I can think of that might happen is that a napkin to wipe your mouth and hands might not be on the table. I know at restaurants there always is one on the table, but I am not sure if Japanese families are accustomed to use a napkin, my family didn't. They might give you a little wet towel instead.
Also, you don't have to use chopsticks when you eat
Sushi; if it's easier, you can eat them with your fingers.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. :)

FirstHousePooka said:
So...

Shes a 50 something year old rich women with a husband and a dog.

I've never been in a Japanese home (well a few apartments of young party
A little of the main topic FHP, maybe you could ask them where they walk thier dog for me. 🙂

time to tell us everything....

FirstHousePooka said:
So...
It's Wednesday now, so I'm curious how it went.
What was it like, coming from all the excitement and uneasiness of yours?
Did you throw in a couple of MM~~mm~~s?
Any mentioning of sukiyaki? :)
btw, what is it with the kani intelligence link: it gives me "file not specified?"

Ohh yes!
it went simply smashingly.

Dined upon temaki sushi (roll your own), and fried squid (oh dear lord I love squid), served with quite a good sparkling white wine. My hosts simply REFUSE toa ckowledge any other drink bar white wine with sushi.

I worried about table manners but... well when you have to older people crawling on the ground under the table trying to catch their spoilt dog because its trying to attack your socks, you start too think that being practically perfect is not so important. Just roll with it.

Both are very well versed in english. Their house is full of souveneirs and trinkets from all the corners of europe (their house seems more european style than Japanese).

And for an old couple (let alone a Japanese old couple) they are so cute and affectionate towards each other. Its great.

Sigh

I'll miss Yumiko and her silly classroom antics.

Back
Top Bottom