What's new

Japanese standard salary (2006)

Nobitakun

Cosplay Girl Lover
5 Jul 2006
I know this question is a little complicated, but I would want to know how much a japanese normal person can earn when they search normal jobs, like in a factory, cleaning, restaurant or those standard jobs anyone can access. And if they're Monday to Friday or you just have 1 day-off per week. I would want to know, just in case I want to move LOL. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Nobitakun said:
I know this question is a little complicated, but I would want to know how much a japanese normal person can earn when they search normal jobs, like in a factory, cleaning, restaurant or those standard jobs anyone can access. And if they're Monday to Friday or you just have 1 day-off per week. I would want to know, just in case I want to move LOL. Anyways, thanks in advance!

If that's the only reason you want to know, it isn't worth the trouble of telling you.

Can't you just type the amount if you know it instead of being that impolite?. I was just making a joke. I can't believe even here there are people like you, who wants to quarrel because of nothing. I try to be nice, so please, respect me.
To warakawa, thanks for the post, but I got a mess with all that info LOL...

Are you a normal Japanese person? If not, the same job opportunities and salary range wouldn't apply to you.

Nobitakun said:

So, if you were to move to Japan, you would consider working at a factory, or something like that?

nice gaijin said:
Are you a normal Japanese person? If not, the same job opportunities and salary range wouldn't apply to you.

Hence my answer.

Here are some explanations as why the GDP per capita is not so reliable to estimate average salaries for employee jobs.

Check sites like Salary Expert to have a more accurate idea of salaries per occupation for major cities or regions around the world. Don't be surprised to find big differences between regions of the same country for the same job description. Note that some job's salaries can be higher in Japan than in your country, but the reverse can be true for other jobs. It all depends what you are looking for.

nice gaijin said:
yeah but chances are, my response won't evoke the same animosity ;)

I doubt my sobbing over the matter will keep anyone awake tonight.

The salary expert is TOTALY wrong, at least for Barcelona (and I can tell Barcelona is the most expensive city in Spain). They say I can earn an average of 30000 euro per year LOOOOOOOOL. That's not the amount not even by far. Feel lucky if you can earn 12000 EURO per year. How come they're that wrong? I mean, if they written 15000-16000 I could understand someway, but they put 30000!. That's almost three times the normal salary in here. In other words, I checked and compared with Japan (Osaka) and it can't be possible we earn more LOOOOL. Spain is someway a poor country.

SalaryExpert gives averages. Sometimes most jobs are close to the average, but sometimes it can vary 10 fold depending on the people doing that same job. For instance some lawyers or doctors make much more money than others, depending on how their reputation and the number of clients/patients. Even for employee jobs, some companies pay much better than others. Finally, keep in mind that the salaries are before tax and before social security payment. In most of Europe employees only get their net salary, as their company withdraw the taxes and social security for them.

The salary expert is TOTALY wrong, at least for Barcelona (and I can tell Barcelona is the most expensive city in Spain). They say I can earn an average of 30000 euro per year LOOOOOOOOL. That's not the amount not even by far. Feel lucky if you can earn 12000 EURO per year. How come they're that wrong? I mean, if they written 15000-16000 I could understand someway, but they put 30000!. That's almost three times the normal salary in here. In other words, I checked and compared with Japan (Osaka) and it can't be possible we earn more LOOOOL. Spain is someway a poor country.

That's right , you are actually lucky if you get 700€ a month, maybe extras (1 month in summer and xmas) if you are lucky to have a contract and not in black. And barcelona is kinda the city with best salaries in spain..

Ah well, you can actually also enslave yourself to work 60-70h / week for 1000 euro as a waiter and such jobs.

Trivial everyday things that are cheap in most countries cost way to much in Japan. Japan is an expensive country, with $6 tacos ,$3 hamburgers and $40 dvd's I sometimes wonder how people even manage to survive there.

Trivial everyday things that are cheap in most countries cost way to much in Japan. Japan is an expensive country, with $6 tacos ,$3 hamburgers and $40 dvd's I sometimes wonder how people even manage to survive there.

I think it is just the USA that has too cheap prices (and often low quality, e.g. fast food). I actually found Japanese food to be much cheaper than in Western Europe. In Belgium or England, just a good sandwich (e.g. from Pret-a-Manger or Exki) will cost you about 500 yen (and 1 usually isn't enough). You won't get decent food in a restaurant for less than 2000 yen (without starter or dessert), while you can easily eat for 500 yen (bento, tendon...) or 800 yen (ramen, Chinese) in Japan.

Most other consumer products have equivalent prices in Western Europe and in Japan. Electronics is a bit cheaper in Japan, and so are hotels. With the high euro now, Japan may even have got cheaper for most things.

That's right , you are actually lucky if you get 700€ a month, maybe extras (1 month in summer and xmas) if you are lucky to have a contract and not in black. And barcelona is kinda the city with best salaries in spain..
Ah well, you can actually also enslave yourself to work 60-70h / week for 1000 euro as a waiter and such jobs.

What do you do for 700 euro a month ? Clean the toilets ? Unemployed Belgians get between 700 and 1200 euro a month (depending on whether they are single, married, have children...) from the government to "survive". Many have a small (illegal) part-time job on the side. Even a part-time student job (20h/week, including at least 5 of actual work) get you more than 1000 euro/month (150,000 yen) here.

First of all, I only know what's going on in Japan and The United States. And I have found one basic difference between US and Japan is;
The Middle Class Crisis----something that people talk a lot here in US. but you don't hear that much in Japan.
First, Japan---"over time pay" is a labor regulation in Japan. Which is a time and a half standard (double pay for over 80 hours/wk). Even these "salary men" are contracted based on 40 hour per week standard. What majority of people who live outside of Japan wouldn't know is that they ususaly leave thier office at 5-6pm, but they go out and and have some drinks with thier clients and bosses after work, which is also considered as "work". Even more, playing golf with them on weekend is also considered as thier "work". Many white collar workers in Tokyo would commute for 1-2 hours everyday, so that's why to most of people, Japanese business men are not staying home with thier family.
Union is very active in Japan, unless you're a P/T worker, you are pretty much working with a company with a labor union (hey, I was a factory worker in Tokyo back in the 80's and was a union member even the company was so small---about 15 people). We used to have our slogan like, "let's be more like a French!", which encoureged ourselves that the averge people in France work 1600 hours a year as to 2000 for us. For the union members, we have a guaranteed double pay (called it "bonus") on June and December, and 15% raise every year. Strikes are rare these days, but the most famous strikes are the transportation union members, known for having a strike over 10 cents.
Now here in America----Overtime, and other basic labor regulations are the same, but they may not commute 2 hours every day. However, many Americans are not seeing thier family also. Why? Because lots of people (especially in the middle class) have 2 jobs. Ok, if you're the only one who brings income to your home, then that's not too bad, but how about you and your wife, both have 2 jobs? Overcrowded daycare centers, kids making troubles because they are so often not under adult supervision are the common social issue here in the US. And top of this as you may know, about 60% of American cannot afford thier health insurance. Even they work 2 jobs. That's reality of what they call it "The Middle Class Crisis of USA". Right now we only have 3 types of job available. 1) Minimun wage job, 2) Professional management positions and 3) Military. As immigration talk spreads across the country, many Americans are forced to be left aside because the minimun wage jobs are taken by the immigrants and most of Americans are not motivated to take it. Some of them fine thier new "no-home" home on streets. This even got worse in this past 20 years due to out sourcing issue, many jobs went to Mexico, China or India. Many of them couldn't get any other choice but to join military or get a job at a Wal Mart.
What's different between US and Japan or the rest of world is that once you live here in America, you're on your own. You might get a section 8 and food stamps to get by, but these supplies are very slim. Like living in Japan, you're guaranteed to make a living if you don't mind to say "good shot!" to your boss that you hate at a golf couse on Sunday morning, but here in America, you need to be a creative to get your life going. If you can do that, it wouldn't be that hard as you might think to be the next Donald Trump.
The truth is, many of might think that Japanese work too long and too hard, but virtually speaking, you don't have to do anything, they just let thier life flow. But in America, you need to get your *** moving, otherwise people will leave you behind.

The truth is, many of might think that Japanese work too long and too hard, but virtually speaking, you don't have to do anything, they just let thier life flow. But in America, you need to get your *** moving, otherwise people will leave you behind.
But many Japanese who know the US companies also know that Americans works longer and harder than Japanese.
An entrepreneur should take his/her lion's share like Mr Horie (though he is arrested now) and Mr Google (his salary is $1, though). But for most salaried workers in Japan, it is hard to believe that many CEOs in the US get huge amount of money. Probably for most American workers, it is hard to believe how small salary the directors of Toyota or Japanese companys get.
I know all I can do is just to work hard, not to calculate payrolls of others.

What do you do for 700 euro a month ? Clean the toilets ? Unemployed Belgians get between 700 and 1200 euro a month (depending on whether they are single, married, have children...) from the government to "survive". Many have a small (illegal) part-time job on the side. Even a part-time student job (20h/week, including at least 5 of actual work) get you more than 1000 euro/month (150,000 yen) here.

Computer technicians and IT jobs usually get even less than tourism related (cleaning dishes, waiters, etc).

Unemployed spaniards get maybe 300-400 a month, during a few months, IF they have worked before at least 1 year. That's all. There is no welfare.

Even though spain is part of wester europe it's a 3rd world country in comparison with the others. We don't even get help from the gov for having kids in school.

To get at least 1k euro you need to work at least 60 hours/week as a waiter, cleaning streets etc, those jobs.

btw I was in Tokyo last year, and most prices were cheaper than spain. Food, electronics, transport. You can even get a hamburger in McDonalds for 0.70 euro.

Last edited:
not really....

How is $3 hamburgers expensive...... I wish there is $3 hamburger here. $6 tacos is average price here. DVD box set is $40 its normal.
I think price in North America is the same sometimes and sometimes one is higher than another.
K, Japan is technologically advanced, so expect some good economy for a while.

Try searching on line for "Japan & Jobs" this will give you a number of sites that have listings for jobs and you can compare salaries. An advantage is that most of these sites allow you to select by industry (education, restaurant, etc).

"Normal" as mentioned is probably too broad and unspecific a word to use here. Average would be a better choice of diction.

Form my experience foreigners who are not fluent will have a hard time earning more than $30-40K per year. If you've got Japanese ability at an entry level you could probably do between $40-60K depending on the industry.

I don't want to sound cocky; but, I will never work for Japanese companies in Japan as their salaries and pays are so low. When I was looking for a job or in the middle of the career change, I only searched the foreign owned corporations. Japan is basically an egalitarian society with less drastic differences in wealth among its population in general.

Back
Top Bottom