ok? Could people please post some japanese
sentences/words and their meaning?:)
I would be ever so greatful!:)

I'll even right you thank you notes!
😄 😄

:p

Hey, here you go.

Hello = Konnichiwa
Goodbye = Sayounara (To be used as a more 'long-term' goodbye)
....wa doko desu ka? = Where is....(Subject will go before wa, like, 'Where is the hospital?' would be 'Byouin wa doko desu ka.' *Forgive me on spelling*)
Moon = Tsuki
Dream = Yume
Nan desu ka? = What is it?
Suki = To like
Riyuu = Reason (as in motive)
Angel = Tenshi
Bleu = Ao (Aoi when placed as an adjective.)

There's some off the top of my head. I am also a begginer, so, this isn't perfect. (Others please correct me if you see a mistake.). Have fun learning japanese, Ichiro!

Hi Ichiro!

Give us some sentences in English that you would like to say in Japanese. We will translate them for you.

Gambatte! (GIve it your best shot!)

-Buntaro

Awsome! Thanks Kuro!
Hmm.. a sentence in English for japanese?
Hmm. Dificult. I'd like to speak Japanese, yes,
(and even though it isn't the same thing,
I ordered a chinese letter thing) the main reason
I would want to learn is to read manga, or understand
anime . But a sentence.. hmm.
Introductions? Like, 'Hi, my name is ____"
You know, just general topic starters I guess.:)
Thanks Butaro!

"Hi, my name is ____"

is

"Konichiwa, watashi no namae wa ----- desu."

That is a good start. What next?

Konnichiwa Ichiro-san!

And "What is your name?" is "Anata no Onamae wa Nanto Iimasu ka?".

NANGI

Originally posted by NANGI
Konnichiwa Ichiro-san!

And "What is your name?" is "Anata no Onamae wa Nanto Iimasu ka?".

NANGI
Or maybe "Anata no onamae wo oshiete kudasai" is easier to remember.

How about... "Ogenki desu ka?"

I think it means "How are you?" *^^*

Just thought I'd offer. *^_^* Also, I have a question about what's been posted here. Isn't there a difference in male and female speakers? "Watashi" is usually used by female speakers, isn't it? "Boku" and "Ore" are usually used by males? Or doesn't it really matter...?

And one more, what of the difference between "kimi" and "anata"?

If it seems like I'm hijacking for questions, gomen nasai!! I just thought you could answer those as well as Ichiro-san could learn it too!

Domo arigatou!

-Jessica

Watashi and anata are best used when starting learning, kimi boku and ore are not very polite or used when talking to friends. Sticking to the formal stuff and moving on to the less formal stuff is easier to do imho.

I agree with Ewok85 about the polite usages.

Regarding onna no kotoba (words used by female Japanese) and otoko no kotoba (words used by male Japanese), kimi, boku, and ore are definitely not onna no kotoba. One particular onna no kotoba you will hear is Atashi.

Rare is the day that you will hear a Japanese guy say Watashi.

Yes, "Ogenki desu ka?" means "How are you?" By the way, genki refers to all aspects of emotional, spiritual, mental, and physical health, not just physical health.

Jessica, does that help?

Originally posted by Buntaro

Rare is the day that you will hear a Japanese guy say Watashi.
Well they certainly do at work. And keigo -- watakushi with clients/customers I believe.

Elizabeth, thanks for the clarification. When I was in Japan, I would never speak in Japanese to Japanese people at work.

I was referring to everyday conversation with friends, which was where I usually spoke Japanese.

I was always under the impression that kimi is more polite than anata. For example the Japanese anthem ナ誰窶堋ェ窶佚」 (kimigayo), which was addressed to the Emperor. Can anyone clarify?

Originally posted by SacredBlue
I was always under the impression that kimi is more polite than anata. For example the Japanese anthem ナ誰窶堋ェ窶佚」 (kimigayo), which was addressed to the Emperor. Can anyone clarify?
That usage is probably more a term of affection like "Dear," or "darling" for His Majesties Reign, nothing to do with politeness.

Hey Everybody! Thanks :D
I just found out there is a Japanese Culture Center
in my town :)
I have a non-relevant question... my computer
sort of screws up in this section.. viewing, and
posting. Would anybody know why??

Back
Top Bottom