What's new

Japanese salad topping

Wintersun

後輩
7 Apr 2007
I'm really into Japanese food and recently I've been trying to make Japanese salads "restaurant style". When i go to restaurant the salads are always yummy but i can't reproduce it at home i need some help!

I want to find how to make this thick, brownish topping that is served over salads. This is not a dressing but a thick topping and has a strong rice vinegar taste. Anyone knows how to make it or the name of it?

salad?

There is one item from SanSai that I do enjoy once in a while. It's the Sumi Salad:

It's a far cry from the Sumi Salad that my Mom made, which was a Rice Vinegar based "slaw", and the secret ingredient was dry broken up ramen noodles(and sometimes the dry ramen broth mix as well)! This version is very mild, and short with regards to any vinegar flavor. Still it's not bad, if a bit on the bland side, the portion size is on the large side. What I think is a bit odd, is that the salad comes with an order of rice..... go figure. Rice and Sumi Salad?:p

Well, I hope i gave you enough information, if you are still searching for something else, then just let me know 👍

I don't know about a thick dressing, but I make a dressing with:

soy sauce
rice vinegar
sesame oil
sesame seeds
chili oil
ginger

I usually just throw it together and taste it as i go until i achieve something i like. i suppose you could add a thickening agent to that...

The smartest place to go is probably hit the Japanese cookbooks for salads, toppings, dressings, etc. Or do some searching on the internet--which can get frustrating if you don't know specific names, but maybe looking at ingredients lists could help get you on the right track.
Could you be a little more specific as to its flavor/content, perhaps? For example, there are some thicker brown sauces served over, say, fish at an exquisite restaurant near where I live, and the sauce is a miso/maple-syrup kind of "glaze". Maybe something along these lines? They do lots of sauces with miso, so maybe that's what you had.

The smartest place to go is probably hit the Japanese cookbooks for salads, toppings, dressings, etc. Or do some searching on the internet--which can get frustrating if you don't know specific names, but maybe looking at ingredients lists could help get you on the right track.
Could you be a little more specific as to its flavor/content, perhaps? For example, there are some thicker brown sauces served over, say, fish at an exquisite restaurant near where I live, and the sauce is a miso/maple-syrup kind of "glaze". Maybe something along these lines? They do lots of sauces with miso, so maybe that's what you had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom