What's new

Japanese RPG games for Language

LastKings

First Class
12 Feb 2009
Hmm does anyone know of any good RPG's to import that can help you learn the language? I'm kinda thinking that i can just play anyone thats completely in japanese and look up every word that i dont know. :eek:

Yeah, i would say that any game is good. You will find yourself learning a lot of useless terms though.. well.. i mean a lot of terms without much real-life use. However, this is how i learned most of my kanji outside of anything i learned in class. So for that it works great.

That being said, i would recommend older games if you are less advanced. Like a remake of the 1st final fantasy etc. I found that the newer games have a lot more text and can be a lot harder to understand. So i would suggest getting your hands on Dragon Quest remakes and such. However, the advantage with newer games is a lot of them are voiced with subtitles, so you can improve your listening, and if you have a good ear and memory, you will not be spending as much time looking up pronunciations etc..

Ah i see, thats a great help. I appreciate it. I have to go get a english to japanese dictionary, so it will help with my translations.

Hmm does anyone know of any good RPG's to import that can help you learn the language? I'm kinda thinking that i can just play anyone thats completely in japanese and look up every word that i dont know. :eek:

That doesn't sound like much fun. I tend to play games that come in English, but with an option for Japanese dialogue. That way, you already have the English there, so it's really just for improving your listening skills. But as Chidoriashi says, a lot of the terms in games would be pretty useful in ordinary speech. I'm great at picking out the words demon, angel, hero and underworld, but I don't think that's much use to me :D

Disgaea is my best recommendation.

I'd recommend Zelda: phantom hourglass on DS. You just touch the obscur mystical signs known as Kanjis and magical easy-to-read furiganas pop out :)

Yeah i already have all the disgaea series, infact i have every nippon ichi game. I for got disgaea 3 had that feature, thx ill go try it soon. And ill also look into zelda, gotta buy a DS first.

The Tales of series, especially if you can get your hands on the ones with voice, simply because most of the time you'll be sitting listening to the dialogues. To be honest, it can help if you pick something you've played before in English, it may be boring though.

Back
Top Bottom