What's new

Japanese Reader ga hitsuyou da

MtoM

先輩
7 Sep 2003
mina-san konnichiwa

I would like to ask you something. Do you know books or sites that provide Japanese readers, I found these books:

Read Real Japanese All You Need to Enjoy Eight Contemporary Writers
and Kanji from the Start A Comprehensive Japanese Reader
and The Japanese Written Word A Unique Reader
(Anyone recommend one of them?)

so... if you have a reader book or site write about it here.
Japanese readers are very important way to study japanese,I suppose.

Note that I want readers for beginner to upper-beginner levels and not mukashibanashi(fairy tales)

thank you
ganbatte kudasai!

Originally posted by MtoM
Note that I want readers for beginner to upper-beginner levels and not mukashibanashi(fairy tales)
Not fairy tales? How'd you feel about Harry Potter?

The grammar and vocabulary would be tough for JLPT 3 - but it has massive amounts of furigana.

Well, these are some pretty standard mukashibanashi that appear in Shogaku kokugo dokuhon (Japanese primary school readers) which might be of interest to someone else....:sorry:

Old Stories of Japan

Re: Re: Japnaese Reader! ga hitsuyou da

Originally posted by PaulTB
Not fairy tales? How'd you feel about Harry Potter?

The grammar and vocabulary would be tough for JLPT 3 - but it has massive amounts of furigana.

No I want simple stories to learn from
=Did you see the books I wrote thier name-se them at amazon=
I don't want the mukashibanashi cause they include strange words and forms-I want stories for beginners who have already completed thier first Japanese grammer book.

ganbatte!

Originally posted by MtoM
No I want simple stories to learn from
I don't want the mukashibanashi cause they include strange words and forms
I don't think the strange words & forms really make much difference. A bit over two years ago I was reading the Ranma 1/2 manga (some 36 volumes if I recall correctly). It had plenty of strange words & forms but enough context that you could usually guess the gaps.

I did have a reader book - borrowed frequently from the library.
http://www.seanspot.com/jbooks/read/Japanese-Reader/Japanese-Reader.htm
It was quite good - but had a big difference in difficulty from the start to the end.

Re: Re: Japnaese Reader! ga hitsuyou da

Originally posted by PaulTB
I don't think the strange words & forms really make much difference.
I don't think there's a great deal of difference between monogatari and contemporary children's stories either. The link I provided above even includes English translations. If even then you don't get 2-3 page sketches like Peach Boy, The Crane Lady or Sparrow's Tongue Cut, it's time for a serious review. ;) Like PaulTB, I'm also working through a 1960's era "old-style" edo jidai manga that has plenty of difficult forms but also some unbelievably elementary furigana which leads me to believe it is widely read by Japanese below the recommended "grade level."

Last edited:
I read alot of manga and some of the harry potter books, be my two suggestions. Apart from that i read the set school texts to help me with specific things (maths chem biology and physics). Quite satisfying being able to argue in japanese about the human anatonmy (kidney's are at the back, not the front! dont they teach these kids anything?)

Off topic question... kinda: What's the difference between mukashibanashi and otogi?

Otogibanashi is more like Western fairy tales with kings, queens, princesses etc and mukashibanashi is a traditional Japanese tale.

If you like Otogi check out this thread at the bottom I put some info about the official Otogi 2 website and a link:Otogi 2

Back
Top Bottom