What's new

Japanese Rap

Golgo_13

先輩
27 Nov 2003
I can't stand rap if it's in English.

When I hear that done in Japanese I just want to pull my hair out, oops can't do that . . . I don't have much left. I wanna Vomit!

:mad:

They were playing it in a Japanese book store in LA.

Don't these young'uns realize how pathetic they sound?

Mind you, they say "mother f__ker" and "b!tch" and such phrases in English.

Just another example of the Japanese trying to imitate something from a different country/culture.

Well, like I said in the Does everyone here like rock? thread, I like some rap if it is done well and has some musicality about it. However from what I have heard of J-pop, most of it is crap (just like pop here in the states). I have heard some Japanese rap, and my opinion of what I have heard is the same as yours (I would even say that I hate it more than most American rap).

Namie Amuro sounds so nice in the rap part of "Chase the Chance". I don't understand a word of it but the Japanese language sounds so funny in this part. It makes me want to learn Japanese. It is because of her I have become a J-Pop fan.

There was this rap band called "DA PUMP," and they were singing this rap/RnB song "RAIN OF PAIN," ...it sounded warui, even laughable. :eek: :cautious:

One thing to note: before Ayumi delved into the world of J-Pop, she did rap on a few songs. :)

Heh, "DA PUMP." They seem to be on "HEY!HEY!HEY!" an awful lot, but I haven't really watched that show in a while, because I got sick of hearing bad music performed poorly. I don't remember much about them, though...

You people truly act ignorant sometimes.

"Rap" isn't exclusive to someone's culture. Rap is a music form. There are no boundaries. In Europe, there are plenty of French, English, Czech, German rappers out there. They like the style, so they do it. There should be no separate distinction for the Japanese.

If Japanese folks want to rap, let them. It is a popular music form nowadays. In Europe, there are many Country Western artists, even though not many Europeans have ever been to the American Country, or have even grown up listening to Country music. If they LIKE the music, why not sing it?

It's the same here. Non-Latino people will listen to and sing Latino music. Are they necessarily trying to "emulate" Latinos? No.

Listening to, playing or recording music should not be limited to your ethnicity, nationality or culture.

Oh, and by the way, Japanese rap to me sounds very strange, just because I'm used to American rap.

Originally posted by Keeni84
You people truly act ignorant sometimes.

"Rap" isn't exclusive to someone's culture. Rap is a music form. There are no boundaries. In Europe, there are plenty of French, English, Czech, German rappers out there. They like the style, so they do it. There should be no separate distinction for the Japanese.

I do not know to whom you are addressing this response, but what I was saying is that the Japanese rap that I heard sounded even worse than most of the American rap that I hear. I in no way, shape, or form said anything about anyone having the rights to any style of music, and I personally do not care who plays what style, as long as it sounds good. Like I said before, what I have heard is crap, because it sounds like crap, and that is in no way related to or concerning ethnicity.

Last edited:
I was responding to the person who said something to the effect of "There Japanese people go again trying to emulate another nationality/culture".

You are obviously not the target of my thread. Sorry for any mix-ups! :)

I was responding to the person who said something to the effect of "There Japanese people go again trying to emulate another nationality/culture".

After re-reading the thread, I figured that you were perhaps responding to that message. However, you did say "you people truly act ingorant sometimes," which to me gave the sense of criticizing everyone who posted. That was what threw me off.

I said that.

I will say it every time . . . because it's true.

Just a few examples. In the '70s there was a rock band that was a total take-off on the Beatles. They even called themselves "Zuutorubi" which is "Biitoruzu" (Beetles pronounced in Japanese backwards).

A popular car made by Subaru in the 1960s nicknamed the "Tentenmushi" (Lady BUG) was a total take-off on the VW Beetle.

When you get to Tokyo, you might ask yourself "Am I in Paris? What's the Eiffle Tower doing in Japan?" That's not the Eiffel Tower. That's the Tokyo Tower which is basically a take-off on the one in Paris.

I can go on and on.

Just go to Japan and see for yourself how much of what they have/do is a replica of something in the West.

Last edited:
Once upon a time (1950s?), Japanese electric appaliances were regarded as cheap imitations with poor quality. But, hey, they didn't give up that easily. Look at Sony, Panasonic, Brother, JVC and numerous other Japanese "authorities" in the field nowadays!

If something is good, I think it worths a struggle to imitate. Say, a democratic constitution.

Having said that, I still have a hard time digesting the look of a pair of squinted eyes on a flat face with fake blond hair. Do girls in Japan and south-east Asia know that not everybody can look like Ayumi Hamasaki?

I THINK WE CAN SAFELY CLAIM THE "GUN" CULTURE!!

Kent_Keiner said:
Golgo,

tell me: Which cultural value comes from the United States?
Except the hamburger culture...

I think it's safe to say our NRA is one of the best armed
citizen groups in the world. I sleep so much better with my 45 loaded & ready to go under my pillow & my full auto under the bed. Thank God & America for Colt, Remington, Winchester; thanks to them, the US has a real CULTURE to be proud of!!!

Frank

😌 👍 :eek: :giggle: 🍾

I think there are no boundaries for music,
if the Japanese likes to rap,let them rap,
I have also heard Chinese rap...not my cup of tea,but well...

Rap is not all bad, though I have heard some J-Rap and it just doesnt flow right. anyways I prefer to stick to my alternative, rap, and some rock.

Kent_Keiner said:
Golgo,

tell me: Which cultural value comes from the United States?
Except the hamburger culture...

what are you talking about?

My whole point was, the so many Japanese try to imitate something from the West--including hair color--and that's too bad.

Another example, I remember back in the early 1970s there was a singing group called "Finger Five", and their sole purpose was to sound like the Jackson Five.

BTW, when the first rap song came out in 1979 -- "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang -- I liked it. It was different and it was fun, and I liked the background rhythm from Chic's "Good Times." I still remember some of the lyrics: "hotel, motel, whatchoo gonna do today! Say What? . . ."

I just don't care for today's stuff with all its vulgar language and disrespect towards women.

Last edited:
the only japanese rap band i can really get a hold of is shakkazombie..they are pretty okay not so much my thing i hate english rap though
for the most part i like metaly sounding things..like type o negative..dimmu borgir..cradle of filth...and j-rock/pop

You have to understand, this was around 1973 or 1974.

Finger Five was from Okinawa and they spoke pretty good English since they grew up during American occupation.

meh J-Rap...Kick the Can Crew. They're more J-Pop than J-Rap but Nounai Vacation off they're cd Good Music sounded rappy to me and it's...strange sounding. I'm used to my western english rap (Outkast, D 12 all that fun stuff)

Hey, I'm open to listening to anything, in any style and language. Jay chou is (in my opinion) is a cool rapper, heh, and W-inds, are just fun to listen to when it comes to hip hop. The only thing I can't stand is, american pop and polka. :)

I even listen to Mozart and Percy Grainger.....:eek: they're cools

Back
Top Bottom