What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japanese Punctuation (Bouten?)

Yzlot

先輩
Reaction score
I was reading a book in Japanese, ang came across this sentence: まあ、気難しがり屋さん! To the right of が and り, where the furigana is normally found, was a japanese comma (、). I had read somewhere that this was called a bouten, though I couldn't find any sources that could confirm this. I assume it's used for emphasis, but how might this differ from using something like wakiten?

Also, could someone confirm what exactly がり is used for in the sentence? I can't figure how exactly "まあ、気難しい屋さん!" is different from "まあ、気難しがり屋さん!"?

Many thanks!

Yzlot

先輩
Reaction score
Link appreciated, but does hold the information needed to answer my question.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I was reading a book in Japanese, ang came across this sentence: まあ、気難しがり屋さん! To the right of が and り, where the furigana is normally found, was a japanese comma (、). I had read somewhere that this was called a bouten, though I couldn't find any sources that could confirm this. I assume it's used for emphasis, but how might this differ from using something like wakiten?
傍点[bouten] and 脇点[wakiten] are basically the same. They are both used for emphasis, as you understand correctly.

圏点 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Also, could someone confirm what exactly がり is used for in the sentence? I can't figure how exactly "まあ、気難しい屋さん!" is different from "まあ、気難しがり屋さん!"?
Have you learned a suffix ~がる which is attached to an adjective or a noun, meaning "to feel / pretend / act as~"? がり is the noun usage of the -masu stem of it.

It should be 気難し屋, not 気難しい屋, since 屋 is attached to a noun.

Yzlot

先輩
Reaction score
Ooh thanks for the link toritoribe. I wasn't quite sure how bouten was written, so I wasn't able to find a japanese reference. And I had never heard/seen garu used before, so it's nice to learn something new, besides kanji.

It should be 気難し屋, not 気難しい屋, since 屋 is attached to a noun.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 屋 is attached to a noun. Isn't さん simply an added honorific? And when describing nouns with an -i adjective, you keep the -i ending unless further modifications are made.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The stem of some adjectives can work as a noun, as same as the -masu stem of a verb, for instance, 高低 can be read たかひく(not so common, though). 気難し is exactly the case.

屋 is a suffix, meaning "a person who has a tendency of~" here. さん is nothing to do with this topic.

Top Bottom