Japanese prayer flag w/ kanji Translation request 3 Sadly in poor condition

FrancisBeaty

後輩
Reaction score

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, it's quite unnatural that there are so many signatures of the same surnames and so many signatures are written by the same hand. I'm skeptical about the authenticity of the flag.

FrancisBeaty

後輩
Reaction score
Interesting, maybe if they are same surname then a prayer flag could be from family/clan instead of a company or buisness? The Prayer flag is a Veteran bring back... and came from a veteran family and considering the condition(Soiled) from a falling IJA solder... I do not think this is a faked item. Not trying to disgrace the falling soldier...

FrancisBeaty

後輩
Reaction score
So far the only thing I can make out is...
祈武運長久
Inoru Buunchōkyū
Praying for good luck in battle
e
1566749098532.png

Last edited:

FrancisBeaty

後輩
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the soldiers name or another slogan? When I compared these I thought one looked like loyalty but not sure.... after further review I really think this is name of recipient.

1566749282995.png

Last edited:

FrancisBeaty

後輩
Reaction score
I cannot tell if there is a date, I don't think there is? So maybe just one or two slogans? with a recipient name? And maybe all else is names?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
So, you don't have any evidence other than you heard that a veteran brought it back. We have seen so many fake flags of the same story even just in this forum...

Anyway, leaving the authenticity aside, the line next to 祈武運長久 is the recipient's name ?々村一義 ?mura Kazuyoshi (the first kanji is illegible). There are two more slogans; another 祈武運長久 and 祈武運長久祈健闘 Hope your brave fight in the 4th picture. The rest are all signatures.

UFSI

You know who's wife
Reaction score
During WWII , the US Marines made a business selling fake flags with a inflated war story told to the buyers. From what I have seen over the years , about half of the flags posted on the internet turn out to be clever fakes. Many Navy , Air Force , and Army guys bought the fakes to take home and tell their "horror of war" stories.