What's new

Japanese perspectives on Japan's involvement in World War 2

Jadelz

後輩
14 Mar 2007
Hi everyone!

My name is Jade im a student from Brisbane Australia and Im currently doing an assignment which focuses on Japanese perspectives of Japan's involvement in world war 2. This is a pretty broad topic... Not just about Pearl Harbour or sex slaves.

If I could get some insight from you guys or if anyone knows a website with some good information/insight/perspectives that would help me out heaps.

Thanks guys!!!
Jade
:)

Welcome Jadelz!

It's not much, but I found the whole article very informative and interesting when I did some history research one year ago for my exit exams.

Military history of Japan - Wikipedia

If you need further information, there's a whole lot of literature on this topic.

Hey thanks!

Im sure that will help.

My main problem is finding japanese perspectives. All the info I come across seems to be either from an American perspective or an English perspective and i need both those AND Japanese. Its kinda comparitive. So if you know of any literature that addresses this directly thatd be great.

Thanks again!!
Jade

Give this one a try:

Tsuyoshi Hasegawa - 'Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan'

ISBN-10: 0674022416
ISBN-13: 978-067402241

Published by 'The Belknap Press'

It is a book recommendation taken from my favorite history magazine 'GEO Epoche'.

Found it on Amazon, but it's offline right now.

This may not be as useful, but:

I actually discussed this topic with my host family, and they were, from what I understand, quite aware that a lot of horrible things occurred during the war. The government wasn't exactly being honest about telling its people about its intentions or its success rate; even as bombs rained upon the Home Islands, news reports were still proclaiming imminent victory. It was only later, when the soldiers came home, that the truth began to come out, but by that point, Japan had to rebuild, and so they needed to focus on that rather than coming to terms with the war itself.

That is, at least, what I could tell. Keep in mind that I stayed in Hiroshima -- the city which issues protests every time a nation tests a nuclear weapon, regardless of what nation it is.

Back
Top Bottom